Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm seeking advice on my first Apple computer purchase. Do I go with an iMac or Mac mini?

I'm seeking advice on my first Apple computer purchase. Do I go with an iMac or Mac mini? I already have a Apple TV, iPod touch(4th gen), iPad 2 32 gig, and recently bought a iPhone 5.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:58 AM

As long as you have all those other Apple devices, why not get them both!!! Just kidding.

I was wondering the same myself. The specs aren'y hugely different between the two so I'll most likely opt for the all in one design. EXCEPT - the iMac is not really an all in one design anymore without the Super Drive.

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2012 6:58 AM in response to KevinT68

As long as you have all those other Apple devices, why not get them both!!! Just kidding.

I was wondering the same myself. The specs aren'y hugely different between the two so I'll most likely opt for the all in one design. EXCEPT - the iMac is not really an all in one design anymore without the Super Drive.

Nov 13, 2012 7:06 AM in response to KevinT68

Well it's really a price and/or glossy screen issue.

The Mini is less powerful, like a laptop in a desktop case, hard drive is replaceable, it's for use with other monitors like anti-glare and existing hardware from a desktop PC.

Some use a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch from both the Mini to their Windows 7 tower.

The iMac is a all in one device, if anything has a problem your taking the entire machine in for service. AppleCare is mandatory and living in close proximity to repair is likely essential. The cost of ownership of a iMac is quite high, once it goes down after your 3 years of AppeCare are over, your buying a new machine rather than paying to get it fixed in most cases.

If your considering the Mini, then your on a budget most likely and the better choice for long term value as you can easily replace the external parts like the monitor and hard drive. Which you can't do in the iMac.

Nov 13, 2012 7:08 AM in response to KevinT68

KevinT68 wrote:

I'm also wondering how big hard drive I will need. Currently just have music(around 4000 songs) and photos(around 1000). I'm wanting to be able to have room for movies and TV shows.

Movies and TVs shows take up a lot of room, 750GB- 1TB would be a good long term solution, plus external drives for backups.

BTW the iMac's Fustion drive is two drives making one volume of data, flash memory + large hard drive.

Nov 13, 2012 7:20 AM in response to KevinT68

Before the latest iMac was launched I would have said iMac ... and no argument. Now I am thinking different. As Joe rightly says iMac is no longer all in one and for this reason alone the flexibility of the mini stands out. My iMac is now 6 years old and if I replace it with an Apple product, it will be a mini. But I'll hang on to my Snow leopard to the bitter end. It's been brilliant.

Nov 13, 2012 7:31 AM in response to seventy one

This is the first time buying a new iMac has caused me to stop and think. No Super Drive, Only a 1 TB drive in the 21.5 " model and 5400 RPM HDD.

I may change my mind about the 5400 RPM in combination with the Fusion Drive. My main concern is the speed for editing video. If the editing(rendering) can take place on the SSD portion, the 5400 RPM won't matter as much. And, theoretically it will quiter and cooler.

Nov 13, 2012 11:06 AM in response to KevinT68

I baught an Imac for a total of 2800 euros, I used internet since 1998 and I have worked maybe an average of 5 hours a day with sony before, since I got this apple which I am selling after 55 days, I got ulcers, nothing has worked well, email problems, update problem, keyboards mistyping, bateries of keyboards and mouse have been changed 4 times in 55 days, disconected all the time, id problems, wifi problems, apple care telling me they will send a airport for free, never received, do I have the right to write this and tell how I feel without having my post deleted, so I do so , I will have prefer being robbed by gangsters in the streets, no more comments. at least I will think there is nothing that can be done. I have the feeling of being robbed 2800 euros purely and simply, thank you apple. if I knew this before , I will not have spend 50$ on this computer, you need prove or a Imac , i am here if you want.

And really I am not here to break any rep, I am honest and this is excatly what happenned. I am very sorry and it is on sale now for 1100 euros less, not sure if it will go. Have you not noticed the number of basic pathetic question people ask??? it is almost if at each update you are in trouble, GOOD LUCK!!

apple never anymore with me.

since one time the customer service hang on on me in french and the other assistant who said he will send the airport whcih never occured, I can agree with others I paid for 3 years of lyes and robbery service.

I'm seeking advice on my first Apple computer purchase. Do I go with an iMac or Mac mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.