7 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2012 8:06 AM by Niku
Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

I'm confused. To me, OS X should include OS 10.0 (Cheetah) and everything that followed, but it seems to me that I see it being used for only Mountin Lion, or maybe Lion and Mountain Lion. Straighten me out, please.

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)
  • Allan Eckert Level 8 Level 8 (47,185 points)

OS X has been an evolutionary operating system with nine different versions. During that evolution it when from running on PowerPC CPUs to both PowerPC and Intel to only Intel. In addition to that there has been a continual change in the underlining structure. For these reason very little of the original version is currently available in the most recent version.

Allan

• Niku Level 2 Level 2 (285 points)

Allan Eckert wrote:

OS X has been an evolutionary operating system with nine different versions. During that evolution it when from running on PowerPC CPUs to both PowerPC and Intel to only Intel. In addition to that there has been a continual change in the underlining structure. For these reason very little of the original version is currently available in the most recent version.

Allan

---

I'm sorry, but that doen't answer my question. Let me put it another way, in Apple's current usage of the term OS X , are they ONLY referring to Lion, or Lion and Mountain Lion? Maybe even Snow Leopard?

• CT Level 6 Level 6 (17,030 points)
  • Matt Clifton Level 7 Level 7 (29,735 points)

If you see Apple promotional material (eg, on their website), it's almost always referring to the latest version of OS X (right now, 10.8), unless it says otherwise. Technical/knowledge base articles will specify the version of OS X that that article applies to.

Matt

Matt Clifton wrote:

If you see Apple promotional material (eg, on their website), it's almost always referring to the latest version of OS X (right now, 10.8), unless it says otherwise. Technical/knowledge base articles will specify the version of OS X that that article applies to.

Matt

---

Thanks, that's the first and only reply that answered my question, which I thought was clear enough, no, which WAS clear enough. So, now I know that the term is not at all precise and that when someone says that a particular application is compatible with OS X, you have to investigate further if you have an earlier version installed. Thanks for that. At first I couldn't believe that Apple could be so sloppy with their terms and that I must be mistaken, but you have now confirmed my suspicions. I don't consider myself a purist but, in my opinion,  this usage is totally unacceptable.

• Matt Clifton Level 7 Level 7 (29,735 points)

Third-party application developers are responsible for writing their own system requirements - if you buy a boxed program that says "works with OS X", I agree, that's not precise enough. However, most applications will have more detailed requirements. You have to be careful not only that your OS X is new enough to support apps, but that it's not TOO new - you may be aware that 10.7 knocked out PPC applications, for example.

As far as I can tell, Apple is careful about specifying compatibility between OS X versions and third-party apps. Apple Store pages, for example, like this one, tell you exactly what version you can run the application with.

If you're seeing specific examples to the contrary, let us know!

Matt

Matt Clifton wrote:

Third-party application developers are responsible for writing their own system requirements - if you buy a boxed program that says "works with OS X", I agree, that's not precise enough. However, most applications will have more detailed requirements. You have to be careful not only that your OS X is new enough to support apps, but that it's not TOO new - you may be aware that 10.7 knocked out PPC applications, for example.

You got that right. I had to--I thought--partition my hard drive in order to keep using two applications that are essential to me (they worked fine in Snow Leopard, but became incompatible when I installed Mountain Lion) That should have been an easy fix. Unfortunately, it has been a nightmare, mostly owing to my inexperience with such matters. Actually, I might be lucky, because I once found a site that showed all of the applications that were incompatible with Mountain Lion. There were hundreds at that time, although I guess that there are many fewer now.