Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup Mac server files and restore to Windows server?

Our company is moving from Mac Server to Windows Server 2008 R2.

I'd like to connect a hard drive to the Mac server (via existing eSATA) and backup our data (just file level backup is fine, don't need permissions or security) and then move hard drive to new Windows 2008 R2 server and restore files.

Does anyone have any cross-platform backup/restore software they can recommend?

We have about 500GB of data, so I prefer a locally connected device to backup to instead of over-the-network backup.

Thank you for your ideas!

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:42 AM

7 replies

Nov 13, 2012 9:15 AM in response to Darryl Mylrea

As standard the Mac cannot write to NTFS format disks, and as standard Windows cannot read from HFS+ disks. FAT32 might be a possibility but it does not support files bigger than 4GB.

The simplest if slower option is to do it over the network using SMB. If you do really want to do it with a hard disk then you may need to consider getting some software to let either Mac or Windows deal with the others preferred hard disk format.

To let the Mac write to NTFS there are several choices but the one I have used in the past is NTFS for Mac by Paragon, see http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

To let Windows read from HFS again the are multiple possible choices but the one I have used in the past and still use is MacDrive, see http://www.mediafour.com/products/macdrive

Nov 14, 2012 5:17 AM in response to rannable

Thanks guys, but the real question here isn't exFAT compatibility. I already knew exFAT is compatible with OS X, I often use it to move data between Macs and PC's. I wasn't sure if exFAT would work with our servers because they are older versions of Snow Leopard, but I did confirm that 10.6.7 is fine.

What I'm really looking for is some engenious way of moving 400GB of data, via HDD, from a Mac server to a new Windows server.

I've gotten a recommendation of using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the files to an exFAT drive, then I can use Windows ROBOCOPY to move them to Windows.

I need a solution that is foolproof (and fool-proof!) and where I can verify that every one of the bajillion files got copied over.

We currently use CrashPlan on the Mac Servers and thought of using that to restore to Windows, but it's so darn slow in everything it does.

How to backup Mac server files and restore to Windows server?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.