Previous 1 2 3 4 Next 48 Replies Latest reply: Apr 3, 2014 11:55 PM by peterSunquest
joeholmes Level 1 (0 points)

"To open this iPhoto library in Aperture, it first needs to be upgraded."

Verify that you have iPhoto 9.4 or later. Then open the library in iPhoto to upgrade it."

I don't own iPhoto 9.4.

What the heck do I do??

-=-Joe

Aperture 3
  • léonie Level 10 (90,844 points)

Are you trying to open an iPhoto library or is Aperture mistaking your Aperture library for an iPhoto library?

• joeholmes Level 1 (0 points)

It's my usual Aperture library, the same one I've used for years. So it's the latter -- Aperture appears to be mistaking my Aperture library for an iPhoto library.

I ran Disk Warrior and Apple Disk First Aid, and rebooted, but that didn't help.

I have tried to open the library from within Aperture as well -- using the "Switch to Library" command in the File Menu. No help.

Make sure, Aperture is really trying to open your Aperture Library and not accidentally trying to open another photo library by double clicking the library to open it.

If you still get the same message, try the Aperture Library First Aid Tools:

Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual

I'd make a backup of the Library first and try to rebuild it.

Thanks. I have tried what you suggested, double-clicking the library file -- same problem.

I can't easily duplicate the library, as it's 2.2 TB.

I have also tried the First Aid, but I get the error message instead -- apparently Aperture need to start to open the library before it attempt a first aid.

I'm now going to my previous version of Aperture, before this week's update, by retrieving it from my Time Machine backup. I'll see if the earlier version gives me the same problem.

Thanks.

The version of Aperture I retrieved from last week has the same problem.

I'm stumped.

Try Frank Caggiano's tip and remove the iPhotoLock.data from your Aperture Library, but be careful, not to delete anything else. Do you have any backup of your Aperture Library at all?

Re: aperture library will not open

• shuttersp33d Level 4 (1,540 points)

That sounds like a weird issue. Have you tried submitting to Apple through the Aperture Feedback page: http://www.apple.com/feedback/aperture.html

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 (25,722 points)

With Aperture closed:

First if you look at the library in the Finder what is the full name including the extension?

Second if highlight the library in the finder, right click and select Show Package Contents

In the Finder window that opens select the file Info.plist and delete it.

Now try opening Aperture on the library.

Post your results back

Thanks. But my Aperture Library package doesn't seem to have any iPhotoLock.data file in it...

First if you look at the library in the Finder what is the full name including the extension?

Aperture Library.aplibrary

Second if highlight the library in the finder, right click and select Show Package Contents.

In the Finder window that opens select the file Info.plist and delete it.

Now try opening Aperture on the library.

Okay, just tried that -- no help....

I can think of two ways to try to recover next:

First I could create a new, empty library and try to import the images from the old library. Will I lose all my projects and organization? I would imagine so.

Second, I could pull out one of the two rotating backups I do on removable hard drives. I do backups once or twice a week, so my most recent is only a few days old.

I hesistate to do that, since I risk causing the same problem on one of my only backups.

What do y'all think?

Whst do you see inside your Aperture Library.aplibrary, when you do "Show Package Contents"? What files and folders are there? And what does the Finder show as kind? "Aperture Library" or "iPhoto LIbrary"?

First I could create a new, empty library and try to import the images from the old library. Will I lose all my projects and organization? I would imagine so.

At least, try to create a new, empty library. Does this work? Can Aperture create it?

Do you have enough free diskspace somewhere to try to import your current Aperture library into the new, empty Aperture library?

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next