2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 10:13 AM by smwb
smwb Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My trusty iMac froze up, and when I went to restart it I got only the white screen, nothing more.  So, I follow the advice of previous discussions, and tried to repair the disk, this did not work.  I then went on to the next step and erased the hard drive disk, and re-downloaded Lion.  This happened overnight (even though it was supposed to take 250 hours) and when I awoke this am Lion was waiting for me to set up, which I did.  Everything seemed to be running fine with my new os.  I went ahead and downloaded the software for my WD passport external HD so I could reload all my files ect... After the download of the software I restarted the iMac, and up came the white screen of death again. The only step I know I forgot was running software update and updating Lion before the restart.  What is my next step?  Is there any hope?  Help...

iMac 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5.4), 4 GB SDRAM
  • ds store Level 7 Level 7 (30,315 points)

smwb wrote:

I then went on to the next step and erased the hard drive disk, and re-downloaded Lion

That was excessive and unnecessary, Lion could have been replaced only leaving everything else alone.

I went ahead and downloaded the software for my WD passport external HD so I could reload all my files ect... After the download of the software I restarted the iMac, and up came the white screen of death again.

The software was your problem, it likely installed a at boot kext file that's not compatible

Hold the Shift Key down while booting (wired keyboard) then uninstall and or follow #8 Step here

Step by Step to fix your Mac

Contact WD about the issue, hopefully it won't trap your files, use a powered USB hub.

• smwb Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

It turns out my hard drive on its last leg, and ultimately completely died.  I took it in to Genius Bar and they were able to replace my hard drive.  Now we are back and running.  Maybe we will get 5 more years.