Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I accidentally deleted my recovery partition. Any way to get it back without taking it to the Genius bar?

Like I said... I accidentally deleted the recovery partiton while in Windows (bootcamp), thinking it was a partition on an external drive.

NOTE: Don't mess around with the system and drives when you are tired!

Now, is there wany way of etting it back without buying a utility for $99, or visitin the Genius bar? And If I have to take it to Apple, will it get wiped? With those two Q's asked, out of curiosity I tried booting with Command R and was able to get to the re-install option for Mountain Lion (but didn't actually do anything). With the Cmd R option and live download, do I really need the partition?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:23 AM

5 replies

Nov 13, 2012 8:20 AM in response to Dale_D

Unless someone has come up with some third party utility, I fear you will have to at least reinstall the OS X partition. At worst, you may even need to redo the entire drive and hose the BC setup as well.

First try cloning the OS X partition onto an external drive, wipe and reinstall OS X, the migrate the stuff on the external clone back in (this recovers the apps, files and configs. Not the OS).

Command-R is working cause the Mac is pulling the Recovery boot code off Apple's servers. If you're stuck somewhere with no reasonably speedy Internet, you'd be stuck. Hence the convenience of having a local version of the thing.

Nov 13, 2012 11:25 AM in response to Courcoul

There are two 3rd party utilities I have found that will (supposedly) recover the partition. Both are right around $99us, which i really don't want to pay for what will hopefully be a one time event. My other option is to try a live G-Parted cd, which has a recovery option in it (but I don't know if it can recover a whole partition). Going to try it a bit later and will post results. If I don't post later today you'll know it went badly!

Backing up all important data now...

Nov 13, 2012 11:47 AM in response to Courcoul

OK... I'm confused. (Fighting a REAL bad headache.)

I tried re-booting while holding down the Option key and was able to select the recovery disk and it worked. Does that mean I really didn't delete the partition???

If the answer is no I have to get back o the Battlefield Play4Free servers I was on last night and this morning and apologize for being so.... um.... agressive!

Nov 13, 2012 12:07 PM in response to Dale_D

Dale_D wrote:

I tried re-booting while holding down the Option key and was able to select the recovery disk and it worked. Does that mean I really didn't delete the partition???

Yes, you didn't delete the Recovery HD partition, especially if you didn't see a globe like what occurs if you command option r boot for Internet Recovery.

You didn't think Apple would give Windows the chance to delete the Recovery HD partition did you? 😁

I accidentally deleted my recovery partition. Any way to get it back without taking it to the Genius bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.