Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imovie and exporting to media browser

After reviewing many posts am I correct in these statements?

1. From iMovie11 you should not export to iDVD, but rather media browser, to burn a movie to DVD because the quality will be better.

2. When exporting to Media Browser it is pointless to go higher than "LARGE" becasue a standard DVD does not go higher that the "large" resolution.

Question: is it better to Export higher than large if you are watching on computer or connecting to TV to watch?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:40 AM

1. Yes, that is my experience.

2. iDVD will create a DVD in the Medium Resolution (640-480). It will have to crunch down the 960x540 to 640x480. You can try going directly to Medium in iMovie, but I think the large size gives slightly better results.

You can try sharing in 1920x1080 and use in iDVD. In my view, it will just take longer, but it will still end up at 640x480, but you can try yourself and see what you like.

If you are watching on computer, or current Apple TV, or YouTube, or iTunes, or current iPad, I would use 1920x1080.(Assuming your event clips are in 1920x1080).

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2012 7:40 AM in response to rdorsett

1. Yes, that is my experience.

2. iDVD will create a DVD in the Medium Resolution (640-480). It will have to crunch down the 960x540 to 640x480. You can try going directly to Medium in iMovie, but I think the large size gives slightly better results.

You can try sharing in 1920x1080 and use in iDVD. In my view, it will just take longer, but it will still end up at 640x480, but you can try yourself and see what you like.

If you are watching on computer, or current Apple TV, or YouTube, or iTunes, or current iPad, I would use 1920x1080.(Assuming your event clips are in 1920x1080).

Nov 13, 2012 10:45 AM in response to AppleMan1958

Hi AppleMan1958

You can try going directly to Medium in iMovie, but I think the large size gives slightly better results.

I don't. As I see it the Down-Scaling process done in iDVD are DONE BADLY so the resulting DVD is (in my experiences) not as good as if MEDIUM or Large is used.

Still all ways are losing quality compared to use

• iMovie HD6 - or -

• FinalCut (any version)

and here export - full Quality Interlaced SD-Video

If done like this the quality is close to Professional made DVDs.

Yours Bengt W

Nov 14, 2012 6:08 AM in response to rdorsett

IF and Only IF

• You aim to do a DVD

• You are sensitive to Quality

Most people seem to not care - Then keep working in iMovie'08 to 11

But if You have miniDV material

• Interlaced SD-Video quality

and the DVD must be as good as it can be

Then I use

• iMovie HD6 - if in a Hurry

• FinalCut Express 4 or FinalCut Pro 6 - if it might go to local TV-station (Open Channel - Öppna Kanalen)

Yours Bengt w

Nov 14, 2012 12:39 PM in response to rdorsett

Out of Range Error 😉

As I only got

• miniDV tape Cameras - interlaced SD-Video

• and a small still Camera with sort of movie function 30fps 720p I think

and as far as I know - iMovie HD6 is not so keen on Progressive material (Hopefully I'm totally wrong in this)

So I set it to do DV

One more reason is that

• DVD is as Standard = Interlaced SD-Video

• iDVD does the down scaling of HD-material badly

So I keep the line from Camera to DVD as intact as possibly (goes for the Sound too - Never .mp3 or other alient formats - I only use .aiff 16-bit 48kHz or .aiff 16-bit 44.1kHz (from Audio-CDs) and from iTunes I go via Export out to a standard Audio-CD (.aiff) and use the files on this)

By doing so - I've very few problems in my DVD makings.

Yours Bengt W

May 31, 2013 12:12 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

wow. so if you are working with DV tape, it is better to use iMovie HD? is this for real?

i switched to iMovie '11 partly because the quality of output was much higher... but on that project i was working with large digital photographs instead of video. the final product also went to Quicktime, not DVD.

i liked HD much better than '11. and now i have put in hundreds of hours on these videos (based on DV footage) that have to be in a video installation in two weeks and can't get a decent DVD of them. i will be so weirded out if it turns out i should have used iMovie HD (i have version 6). i think i would be willing to re-edit at least a couple of them if it would make a big difference.

does anyone besides Bengt have experience with this? i might go test it now.

imovie and exporting to media browser

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.