Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto 9.4.2 gets stuck on video upon launch

Hello,

I'm using iPhoto 9.4.2, but, I suppose upon quit while on a video, I have suddenly become unable to use the application whatsoever. What happens is that it launches (and takes unusually long to load) and immediately opens up a video from my library. I can see the first frame of the video, then it shows nothing but the background of the app (looking more or less like an empty event), although I can still hear the sound of the video. I can't pause or exit the video, or even move the iPhoto window or press any of the menu bar-buttons to the left. Every click gives me the "Funk" sound effect. Neither can I quit the application regularly – I have to force quit it, although it doesn't say it's not responding. Also, about once every two times that I launch the app, a pop-up tells me that iPhoto has detected inconsistencies in my library and wants to repair. I've accepted every time, but when this task is completed it opens the video again and the same thing happens.

Before this all happend, but (I think) after I updated to the current version, I used to get about five pop-ups telling me these specific photos couldn't be found and giving me the option to either Find Photo… or Cancel. Since I couldn't find any files on my computer with the given names I just canceled, but they kept reappearing upon every launch until this new problem occured. I don't know if this has anything to do with my original problem, but I just thought I'd share all problems I've had with this update.

I've tried opening iPhoto with the help from my iPhone to make it open on the import photos page, but that didn't work. I guess the help I need relvolves around getting iPhoto to restart my library from the beginning (not open where I last left off – watching the video). Any ideas? I back up my computer regularly, but I'm still paranoid I'll lose all my photos.

I appreciate every possible solution!

I'm running OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2 on a Late 2010 MacBook Air.

Thanks,

Emily

iPhoto '11, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:14 AM

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2012 11:14 AM in response to LadyGreenmilne

Option 1

Back Up and try rebuild the library: hold down the command and option (or alt) keys while launching iPhoto. Use the resulting dialogue to rebuild. Choose to Repair Database. If that doesn't help, then try again, this time using Rebuild Database.

If that fails:

Option 2

Download iPhoto Library Manager and use its rebuild function. (In Library Manager it's the FIle -> Rebuild command)

This will create an entirely new library. It will then copy (or try to) your photos and all the associated metadata and versions to this new Library, and arrange it as close as it can to what you had in the damaged Library. It does this based on information it finds in the iPhoto sharing mechanism - but that means that things not shared won't be there, so no slideshows, books or calendars, for instance - but it should get all your events, albums and keywords, faces and places back.

Because this process creates an entirely new library and leaves your old one untouched, it is non-destructive, and if you're not happy with the results you can simply return to your old one.

Regards

TD

iPhoto 9.4.2 gets stuck on video upon launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.