Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frustrating capitalization problem using dictation

I'm a quadriplegic and use dictation on my iPad for absolutely everything. It's not perfect and I have to go back and insert or replace two or three words in every paragraph I make.

Things were fine when my iOS was 5.x but I upgraded to the recent 6.0.1 release and now when I place my cursor somewhere or highlight a word and speak, the first word is **always** Automatically capitalized as if it Thinks I'm saying a proper noun or starting a new sentence. I've played with the settings and can't get it to change. My iPhone 4S is still on the previous iOS and behaves normally and now I don't dare upgrade.

I realize this sounds like a first world problem but to me it quadruples the amount of work Required to make a Decent sentence let alone multiple paragraphs. And this Paragraph is what it looks like when I just think, **** it, and let the capitals stay. My Most usable hand is already Fatigued correcting this post.

Is it possible for somebody at the Apple store to rollback my iOS If this behavior is because of the 6.0.1 update? I am extremely frustrated here.

Thanks for reading.

(I should mention that the auto-capitalization toggle in settings is just for when starting a new sentence after typing a period And a Space.)

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:03 AM

1 reply

Frustrating capitalization problem using dictation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.