Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes can't find path to music on NAS...? HELP!

The problem is I used to connect to the NAS using Finder by going to the left part of the Finder window, clicking on the server name under SHARED and then connect as. Put in my ussername and password and bobs your uncle I was connected. Over time in iTunes while connected to the NAS I have used File - Add to library - to add songs to the iTunes library, now totaling 20,000+ songs.

Since a firmware update to the NAS, I CAN still connect to the NAS but only by using Finder - Go - Connect to server - and putting the server path in e.g. smb://STORA in, enter name and password and then I choose the folders to mount. If I try the old method clicking the server under the SHARED item in the side of Finder it just spins out.

The problem with connecting using Finder - Go - Connect to Server is that iTunes can't seem to see the path to the files. I can only presume that the path to the files is different for each way of connecting?

This is hugely frustrating as the files havent moved and I can still connect and browse them in teh same location, so it must be something to do with how finder works the connections and creates that path in iTunes.

If anyone can suggest a way around this or a way to amend the paths to the files that would be great. I don't want to have to manually add all the tracks again.

HELP!

PS. I can connect to another windows server on the network using the Finder SHARED method, which suggests it is the NAS update that has caused the problem, but as they are Netgear they are worse than useless. so I just need a way around changing the path or telling iTunes how to find them over smb//.

----------------------------------------------

I recently upgraded my NAS to the latest firmware version and since then I cannot access the NAS in the usual way from any Mac. The Macs are Macbook Pro 2.4 duel core OSX 10.7.5 and iMac 3.2 i3 10.6.8. The NAS is a STORA 2110.

Logic Studio, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 12:09 PM

3 replies

Nov 13, 2012 12:42 PM in response to gazzabhoy

Try finding a single file, then have iTunes find the rest based upon similar criteria. The problem is, if this is happening on a rgular basis then this is not a solution.

I see a lot of issues with iTunes and NAS on the forum. iTunes is designed to be a lightweight, consumer level program. 20,000 songs on network storage is getting outside the design parameters.

Nov 13, 2012 1:12 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for the suggestion Limnos but you're right that's not the answer...

iTunes Match allows 25,000 songs so I don't think apple see 20,000 as outside the design parameters.

Anyway I'll wait in hope that someone can offer a solution to the path that Finder uses for each different connection as that's where the answer lies, that or a way to change the path of the server in iTuens, but all the forums I have looked at suggest you can't do that?

Nov 13, 2012 2:28 PM in response to gazzabhoy

Have you searched this forum (I mean spent like 20 minutes really searching)? I think I have seen this kind of thing before and it may be curable but could take some specialized Unix mumbo-jumbo. The other thing I recall is NAS an the like can be bad about semi-sleeping. iTunes then looks for them and cannot find them. They have to be truly awake before starting iTunes.

iTunes can't find path to music on NAS...? HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.