Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

emails disappear without sending

I've recently started getting a problem with my iPhone: I write an email, hit 'send', and then the email just disappears. Doesn't get sent, doesn't go into a waiting outbox, just disappears into the ether. It seems to happen when I have a weak (or no) internet connection, but it used to be the case that it would just save the message in an outbox. That's not happening any more. It's incredibly annoying as I deal with my emails while on the train, and now I can never be quite sure whether the signal is strong enough for the message to send, or if it's just going to disappear when I try to send it.

Can anyone help?

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:26 PM

55 replies

Nov 18, 2012 8:25 PM in response to ctaylorjay

I read the sugestions here and am very sad Apple has not properly given a solution to this issue.

After critical emails dissapeared I WAS SO MAD.So I tried a few of these other suggestions and noticed my email push was changed by the last update,I had it set to manual before the update but found it set back to push. This is the olny thing that worked for me [so far 15 emails sent yes really sent not just gone]

-settings

-mail,contacts,calendars

-fetch new data[which now said 'on' [not manual where I set it]

-turned push off and set 'every 15 minutes'

Yes it is a pain in the Samsung but now nothing is just gone it sends ,you might try the 'manually' which searches each time you open a mail account and check it often.

I tried turning it off [push home and top button at the same time] and hold until screen went black, then a reset in iTunes but none of that worked. This must be Apples way of getting you to buy a new iPhone 5 I sure dont see that phone having this problem [I miss Steve Jobs he would never let them just ignore it]

I am using a iPhone 4 [no S] with Yahoo and Gmail through AT&T in Alaska which has very limited 4g coverage mostly using a 3g coverage from them.

Sure hope this helps you

Nov 20, 2012 12:28 AM in response to justme254

Thanks for that. It did actually correct itself yesterday! Ie. mails started to go to Outbox again when I was out of signal range, so I didn't lose them. However, now they don't send off automatically once I have a signal again - they just get a red exclamation mark next to them (like when a text message doesn't get sent off), then I have to go into the outbox and re-send them. But at least they're there, and don't just disappear. If it starts playing up again, I will try your suggestion, though, so thanks!

I am also wondering if it's a conspiracy to make me upgrade! That would be sad.

Dec 3, 2012 2:51 PM in response to ctaylorjay

Wow, the exact same thing has been happening to me, but only for the past 3 or 4 weeks.

I'm a university teacher and I often write my students quick replies with my iphone. Recenlty, though, several of them have claimed they never received my emails. At first I didn't believe them. But then upon closer inspection, I searched my outbox and found that the emails were simply gone. I began to test whether I was going crazy or whether the iphone was really just deleting my messages. I no BCC myself on most messages, just as a test, and sure enough about 10-15% of my emails are never received and disappear ENTIRELY from both the phone and the email server (Yahoo). They don't get stored in DRAFTS, or OUTBOX, they simply vanish.

I'd love to know if there's a fix for this that will work. I'm on a 4s, running IOS 5.1. Again, I don't think this problem ever occured until recently. I love my phone and use the mail app dozens of times a day for work and personal reasons, but I'm getting nervous that it's not a reliable way to email people!

emails disappear without sending

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.