Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mysterious Media Attaching to Objects - Why?

I'm working on a FCPX transition in Motion and I randomly get the following error when I save the project.

"One or more objects that use this media will also be deleted. Are you sure you want to delete the media used for these objects?"

User uploaded file

I didn't try to delete any media so I'm confused why this pops up.

When I go to the Media tab I see 2 new images (Image_Transition_A/B_1280x720.png)

User uploaded file

I didn't add them to my project but they just showed up and attached themselves to objects in the project.

I can see them in a text editor and they normally don't show up in a FCPX transition.

User uploaded file

I see this when modifying an existing template that I made from the ground up. As I finish one template, I save as in order to build on top of it.
The most recent time it happened Image_Transition_A replaced a link behavior.

I'd like to avoid this if possible. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any ideas how to stop it?

Homemade

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 1:52 PM

14 replies

Nov 13, 2012 3:46 PM in response to Dylan Higginbotham

It's not random behavior, it's how Motion works. Those Image_Transition_A/B_1280x720 files are created when you save the transition with Preview Movie. That's extra media that "preloads" the drop zones.

There are other situations where Motion will throw warnings like that. For instance, if you clone an object or group and later throw the contents cloned away (has to be ALL the contents.)

For Drop Zones (and placeholders), go to the Image tab in the inspector (with the drop zone in question selected) and Clear it first before deleting the contents you used in the drop zone in Motion.

Nov 13, 2012 4:21 PM in response to fox_m

Thanks for the response.

I didn't save with Preview Movie and I still got this error. I also wasn't trying to delete anything when I got this error message.

Here's a quick screencapture showing what happened. Image_Transition_A/B_1280x720 replaced a behavior with itself.

I also noticed that after this happens some of my rigged parameters are reset.

I don't think this is normal behavior because I've never had this happen before. I submitted a bug report and emailed the motion team. However, they don't have time right now.

Thanks for help.

Nov 13, 2012 6:48 PM in response to Dylan Higginbotham

The ? icon represents media that has gone "offline" (Motion didn't find it when you reopened the project -- the original source was moved -- or you trashed it from the finder while the project was open.) If you know what it was -- go into the trash and Put Back. If you moved the original, and don't remember what it was, you might be in trouble. If the original is still listed in the media tab, you can Reconnect, or Replace Media File from the Inspector. You'll just be pointing Motion to the new location.

Nov 13, 2012 7:54 PM in response to Dylan Higginbotham

Can you Restore from Autosave? try to get back to the point which the behavior was still active? Maybe you can piece together what happened.

Did the behavior have a drop well? If you can remember what it was, turn off the "offline" layer (uncheck it -- you don't have to remove it from the layers list) and add the behavior again. Try to retrace your steps. If it is a bug, then you should "Provide Motion Feedback" and report it.

Nov 14, 2012 8:00 AM in response to fox_m

I can restore from autosave but I lose a lot of work because it's set to auto save every 15 minutes. I know I can change that but instead I save my files to Dropbox (DB). Then every time I make a change I save and DB keeps every version. It's more granular and I can go back in "time" more precisely.

Yes the behavior had a drop well. It was a link behavior. I can inacitivate the offline layer and add a new link behavior however I'm still stuck with that image and strange layer.

I noticed that even though Motion shows the Transition_A_1280x720 layer in place of the link behavior that the link behavior is still applied. Take a look at this quick screencapture.

I've tried to retrace my steps. I can duplicate the error however it happens at different times as I build the project and it happens to different objects. I can't find a pattern.

I did report via Motion Feedback.

Nov 14, 2012 10:42 AM in response to Dylan Higginbotham

I expect you will hear back from Apple on this one.

I would expect this bizarre behavior from Motion 5.0.2 which was ... well... there are no words for what it was. I've seen my share of completely off the wall behavior. M5.0.5 has gotten much more stable.

Did you option-click-drag the link behaviors to duplicate them? Or duplicate them already populated? I've been burned so badly by 5.0.2 that to this day, if I'm working on a "real project" (not example stuff to work out forum discussion examples) I will "manually" create each and every parameter behavior from a menu and not use any available duplication method.

Save As the project to create a copy you can tear apart and reassemble. You should try to delete the layer with the ? and the Link Behavior that doesn't show up in the layers list (click on the linlk behavior's "title" line "Radius Link" in the Inspector and hit the delete key) Then re-add a new link and work it again [from a menu -- don't duplicate any of the other links already in use].

Looks like a very nice project. Hope you can fix it!

Mysterious Media Attaching to Objects - Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.