Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatic use of Active Directory credentials for Proxy Auth

Hello,

I am trying to add some MacBook computers to our network and make them follow the same guidelines than the windows computers, with also the same features...

Here is the hardware list :

• MacBooks
  • 1 Mac Mini server with OSX server to apply policies
  • windows computers
  • an Windows Active Directory
  • a Bluecoat proxy

I binded them to the Active Directory to let any user login on a Apple machine with the same credentials.

This is working.

However, our Proxy is asking for authentication (security policies) for any user who wants to access the internet.

The proxy is connected to the Active Directory and use it as the central place for identity.

We are currently using (in windows computer) an automatic proxy configuration using an URL. This url redirect the computer to the good proxy depending on his URL.

I would like to do the same with the Apple computers but when I access the web, on any browser, I got the Authentication popup that ask for AD credentials.

The problem is, I do not want user to have to enter their credentials, as they are the same than the one they use to login already (AD credentials).

If I let this, then, they will store the credentials in the keychain and as the AD ask for change of password every 60 days, the computer would use the old credentials automatically to access internet (dashboard widget, notifications center...) and then multiple authentication with wrong password would lock the AD account.

Same problem if I wanted to use the HTTP/HTTPS configuration for proxy in the System preferences instead of automatic proxy, I would have to save a password which would be wrong after 60 days.

On windows, computers use automatically the AD credentials for the proxy. There is no need to enter credentials to browse internet.

I am sure, I misconfigured something in the AD binding or I miss something in the configuration of the macbooks.

Does anyone has an idea ?

Thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:13 AM

15 replies

Nov 18, 2012 10:20 PM in response to antoine44

To add up some info on this :

We have some network drives (SMB) that are used to share data. To access those, computer needs to be authenticated against the AD.

With a local session on a mac (which is not an AD account then), the drive will ask an AD account to be mounted.

With an AD account on a mac, no problem to mount the drive, no need to enter credentials (no need to re-enter AD credentials).

For me, the proxy should be working in the same way.

Im pretty new to all of this, so I don't understand where is the misconfiguration.

Nov 19, 2012 5:52 PM in response to John Lockwood

Yes but as I said, I would like to avoid this, because user's password need to be changed every 60 days (Active Directory will force user to change his password every 60 days).

So if an old password is stored and then used by the mac to reach internet (some applications like widgets and notifications center try automatically to reach internet at boot), the proxy will use this old password to check identity and multiple use of old password LOCK account in the AD.

I woud like the mac to use automatically the account (AD login/password) used to open the session for the proxy and all other services that need AD authen (like sharepoints, smb...). Like a windows would do.

Nov 20, 2012 3:07 AM in response to antoine44

You will need to change your group policy for the users in AD to lock the accounts after x amount of tries. We have this set to 5 attempts.

The mac will attempt to log in with the incorrect details and as it will not connect (if the password has expired) it will prompt you to enter a password. This is when you enter the new password that was created when you logged in (AD will prompt for new password at logon when the password has expired). If you enter the new password and select the remember button the keychain entry will be changed to the new password and you should be good to go.

Nov 21, 2012 1:10 AM in response to antoine44

5 times should be more than enough. You will find that the account will only be locked if the user is unaware of the process and continually tries different passwords.

The proxy settings can be set through group policy but you are looking at two things, first is the proxy settings, this will include the ip address of the proxy and the port number and what services are to use the proxy, second is the authentication. You will notice, even on a PC running windows that when the user is forced to change their password they will still be required to enter the new password when connecting to the internet and, if you are also running an exchange server on the domain, email. It's the same for the macs.

You will find that there are some applications that are not SSO and do not get their authentication from a Kerberos ticket , Dropbox for one can and does lock out accounts. Firefox has it's own proxy settings although it can be set to obtain the system settings. The best I have come up with is to make a list of those applications that perform in this way and get the user to change the password when it expires.

Nov 21, 2012 2:17 AM in response to Ben Bissett

The proxy settings are handled with a .pac file. So no problem on this side, only authentication.

For our windows computer, authentication is automatic, even when changind the password after its expiration, no need to enter the password for proxy.

I found out that we are not using Kerberos with AD. Is it related to the fact that I cannot authenticate automatically on a number of services (like the proxy) ?

Nov 21, 2012 2:26 AM in response to antoine44

"For our windows computer, authentication is automatic, even when changind the password after its expiration, no need to enter the password for proxy."

From a security point of view I wouldn't recommend not having to enter the password for proxy, as (providing the pc wasn't locked) any user would be able to use the pc and gain inernet access without the need to authenticate making it very difficult to identify a user if any issues should arise.

AD needs kerberos to pass the TGT to the mac which in turn will generate the SGT.

As far as I know Kerberos is permanently running in AD.

Jun 21, 2016 7:58 AM in response to Bacon1sl

Some proxy servers do support Kerberos authentication e.g. Squid, I would guess the Microsoft one would if configured to do so. This would be I feel the only complete solution in that it should give a 'single sign-on' just like you are already experiencing for the file server and not require saving credentials to the users keychain which as previously discussed would result in out-of-date credentials when the users password ages out and has to be changed.

For those people not as concerned about users having to update their details i.e. re-enter them and re-save them to their keychain then that would work.

It should be noted that if you use the keychain to store the users credentials then these will get stored in the 'Local Items' keychain. This keychain is notorious for having problems in a network home directory environment. Furthermore the 'Local Items' keychain is also specific to a single Mac as it is stored in a ByMachine folder so will not 'follow' the user when they hot-desk to another machine.

(Apple have affectively decimated the network home directory system when they introduced the Local Items keychain which was linked to the introduction of iCloud keychain syncing introduced along with Mavericks. It was so bad I had to abandon a Squid system I had been intending to use. I could not get Squid to do Kerberos with a Mac Open Directory server but that is a different story.)

Jun 21, 2016 8:14 AM in response to antoine44

We have 2 types of Mac Client configs under our domain. Desktop and shared devices (iMacs,Mac Minis and Macbooks) use kerberos authentication.

1:1 Macbooks only ever have one person logging in to it, so I point their proxy to a forward facing .pac file which determines if the user is on our network or an external one. If external the proxy is bypassed, if internal the proxy is directed to a custom port on our web filter to apply "staff" level filtering. If we ever need to audit a users usage for the 1:1 devices, we know the device name and IP so its easy to trace.

Automatic use of Active Directory credentials for Proxy Auth

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.