Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

High Frame-Rate and Twixtor Question: GoPro 3 & 2

Hey all,

You can imagine my disappointment when I realized how wrong I've been doing all my amateur filmmaking. I'm trying to get more serious with editing cleanly and professionally. So, here is my project, and then my question.

I'm getting ready to shoot a big ski trip with my GoPro 3 and GoPro 2. For some slow-mo I'll shoot 120 fps on my gopro 3 at 720p, and 30 fps on my gopro 2 at 1080p.

Firstly, to really utilize the slow-mo I'm planning on utilizing twixtor. Can anyone walk an amateur through the process of creating smooth slow-mo that wont be choppy when I upload it to the web? Walking me through as if I know nothing would be appreciated.

Also, how should I go about dealing with the differing frame rates? I've heard talk of MPEG Streamclip, but I haven't found any tutorial or instruction that was broken down and easy to follow.

Your instruction will be greatly appreciated. Please help me build my base of knowledge with these things so I can build on it and help those who have the same questions as mine!

Cheers

Final Cut Pro X

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 12:36 AM

If the GoPro 2 does 60p I'd do that if you want slow footage from that cam too. Either way I'd do a custom project storyline at 720/30 frames. Then do some web searching on the term "conform" because you'll want (I think) to conform the fast stuff down and that will slow it down. You'll just import some portion of your 120fps footage from the event library and and choose Conform Speed from the Retime menu (command R). You can go beyond that by retiming further and by choosing Optical Flow for video quality. If that still isn't enough you might need twixtor but you may find that's workable. If you shoot at 120fps you'll get some seriously slow stuff after conforming and retiming slower.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2012 12:36 AM in response to agrizer

If the GoPro 2 does 60p I'd do that if you want slow footage from that cam too. Either way I'd do a custom project storyline at 720/30 frames. Then do some web searching on the term "conform" because you'll want (I think) to conform the fast stuff down and that will slow it down. You'll just import some portion of your 120fps footage from the event library and and choose Conform Speed from the Retime menu (command R). You can go beyond that by retiming further and by choosing Optical Flow for video quality. If that still isn't enough you might need twixtor but you may find that's workable. If you shoot at 120fps you'll get some seriously slow stuff after conforming and retiming slower.

High Frame-Rate and Twixtor Question: GoPro 3 & 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.