Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleted iDVD slideshow files left on DVD-ROM, how can I remove them?

I am creating a DVD in iDVD, and had created 4 slideshows.

I then renamed the 4 slideshows.

When I check the DVD-ROM contents (Advanced>Edit DVD-ROM Comntents...) it shows the files for 8 slideshows, 4 of them being the original names, and 4 the new names.

I obviously don't want 2 copies of all the photos (probably won't be enough room on the DVD!), so I tried deleting the slideshows. This only got rid of half the folders in the DVD-ROM.

So now I have no slideshows in the iDVD project, but still have 4 folders of images on the DVD-ROM under 'Slideshows' that I cannot delete.

I would like to get rid of these, but as I have no slideshows, I can't seem to find a way to get rid of them. All the instructions say I have to delete or somehow edit the slideshow. This is somewhat awkward as they no longer exist. Creating a new slideshow with the same name just creates a new folder on the DVD-ROM.

I was going to change my mind and create the slideshows in a video editing program to allow slightly more freedom with how I present them, and I really want to get rid of the images on the DVD-ROM area.

It's driving me mad, all help is greatly appreciated.

iDVD '08, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:40 AM

8 replies

Nov 14, 2012 10:54 AM in response to Wokka Wokka

Create a new project and add the slideshows and ROM contents again. That will be the safest route to go.

Follow this workflow to help ensure the best quality final product:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image and launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding was good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

OT

Nov 14, 2012 1:20 PM in response to Wokka Wokka

Klaus - I think you missed the point, I can easily create slideshows, the problem is getting rid of them. I have deleted the slideshow, but the ROM contents remained, and cannot be deleted as iDVD thinks it is associated with a slideshow.

Old Toad - Thanks, I'll use the tip about saving as a disk image, if I bother with iDVD. It looks like I'll have to start again, which is really annoying to lose the work I've done so far and have to repeat it all. I might have a look and see what other DVD programs people recommend, as the first try with iDVD has been very disappointing.

Nov 14, 2012 9:52 PM in response to Wokka Wokka

OK, a picture should help, see below. The project has not been burned, I am working in iDVD, no discs were harmed in the making of this problem.

Picture below shows my project map and the DVD-ROM conents window (Advanced>Edit DVD-ROM Comntents... ) . Note the lack of slideshows, yet there are 4 folders of slideshow images, greyed out so they cannot be altered by the user.

User uploaded file

As I said above, I wish to remove the images that were associated with a slideshow from the DVD-ROM area of the project. All instructions I can find on how to do this state I have to either delete or edit the slideshow, which I cannot do as it does not exist.

I'll probably just start again, and next time I need to do a DVD I'll see what else is out there. I seem to be spending more time trying to solve a software problem than I do making the disc.

Nov 14, 2012 10:04 PM in response to Wokka Wokka

Great, now when I open iDVD it comes up with the project I had a problem with, but if I try to close that window, or start a new project iDVD crashes and quits. I can work on the project which I no longer want (because of the files I can't delete) no problems, I can edit and save, but I can't open any other projects, or start new ones.

Time to look out my original install disc and try re-installing it I think.

Doesn't look like having this finished and burnt (20 copies) by Saturday morning is going to happen...

Deleted iDVD slideshow files left on DVD-ROM, how can I remove them?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.