Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Collaboration Question

Background: Two editors working on one event......

• All event media has been imported, keyworded and duplicated to an external drive sent offsite to another editor.

• Editor 1 adds some more media (stills) that comes in late

• Editor 2 creates a multicam of some clips

• Editor 2 adds some motion graphics

• Both editor 1 & 2 edit away in their respective projects

When the time comes to merge these projects in to a master project for release, what is the best way to merge the event libraires, since :

• One contains a multicam clip that the other doesn't

• Both now contian media that the other doesn't.

• Projects from each edit references media that exists only in their events as well as in the common source event.

Is there a "best pracice" for doing this ? This will make a huge difference for whether we can use FCP X on an upcoming project instead of Premiere Pro.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:54 AM

7 replies

Nov 14, 2012 2:10 AM in response to Dave_E_P

Additional media that are added to the production should be added to separate events so they can be easily merged. Multicam can be copied from one event to the other. The real question is how the projects need to be merged. Are you doing two halves of a production, or different cuts, or alternate scenes? What happens when material is duplicated, the same shots used, in different projects? Does that matter to you?

Nov 14, 2012 2:19 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for the fast reply.

Typically each editor is assigned different scenes, so using the different editors are unlikely to use the same clip in different places.

Creating additional events had occured to me, but it's getting really messy 😟 I really like all the media and sequences in one parent directly that we normally run a 'sync' on and it brings everything together nicely. I have a feeling doing that with FCP X is going to break things badly!

So, it sounds like we need :

1) A base event that is treated as read only that no one adds media to.

2) Each editor has their own additional event that they can add media to as needed

3) At some point, the additional events are merged so that all media now exists in a single master event again

4) All project databases are copied in to the master project library

5) Make sure we have lots of backups if/when this all goes wrong 😉

Is this about right ?

Nov 14, 2012 2:31 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Tom Wolsky wrote:

That sounds right. If editors are working on different scenes that don't have overlapping media, why not make separate events for each editor, so each editor has his/her set of media and events and projects?

...... because each editor will be assigned a task based on available time, so we won't always know what each editor is going to need at the start, so each editor gets all the media and can work on what ever they need as they need it.

If one scene gets finished a lot faster or slower than originally expected, more or less time becomes available for other scenes, so work can be transferred as needed.

At some point it all needs to be brought back together and joined in to a single movie.

Nov 14, 2012 2:44 AM in response to Dave_E_P

Then do it as outlined before. Probably the simplest way to merge everything at the end will require the most drive space. Simply duplicate with referenced events all the projects to a single drive or RAID and then build them together there.

You are really going to try to do interweaving scenes, or is it front half back half? Interweaving can present lots of pacing problems.

Nov 14, 2012 3:09 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I'm not worried about pacing issues etc. We've been working together like this for years, through FCP and Premiere Pro without any problems, so I doubt FCP X will suddenly change our common vision and / or compatibility 🙂 We regulalry screen things as needed anyway, so it's really just the merging part that I need to figure out.

Collaboration Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.