Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on iMac question

I am going to be getting an iMac in the next few months. I see that its possible to use iMessage on Mountain Lion.

I was wondering if its possible to set up iMessage on my iMac so that iMessages I am sent to my iPhone do not so up on the iMessage on my iMac, and if so how do I do this?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Windows Vista, iPad (3rd Gen) 32GB iPhone 5 32GB

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:47 AM

2 replies

Nov 15, 2012 12:28 AM in response to laundry bleach

laundry bleach wrote:

It is possible to do what you ask. The way to do it would be to sign in to Messages on your iMac using a different ID from the one you are using on the iPhone. If you use the same ID, you will get the same messages on both devices.

Best of luck.

Thanks very much for the help laundry bleach, its much appreciated.

Well I was having a bit of trouble getting iMessage and Factime to work on my iPhone and iPad recently (has they use the same Apple ID).

I found the following on this forum:

"On iPhone:

For iMessage to work correctly on the iPhone do not sign in with Apple ID in the iMessage section. And only have your phone number selected for to be reached at.

FaceTime settings on the iPhone do not sign in with Apple ID in the Facetime section. And only have phone number selected for to be reached at.

On the iPad:

For iMessage:

Sign in with Apple ID in the iMessage section and select email address for to be reached at.

For FaceTime:

Sign in with Apple ID in the Facetime section and select email address for to be reached at.

So with the information you've provided, I'm wondering if the iMessages would come through to the iPhone and not the iMac, because I am not signed in with my Apple ID in the iMessage section on my iPhone, my telephone number is basically identifying me (for want of a better word), but saying that I am signed in with my Apple ID on my iPad so I could imagine the iMessages would come through onto my iPad though.

Whereas on my iMac, I would be signed in with my same Apple ID (has I have in the App Store, iTunes section on both my iPhone & iPad).

Or would I need to create a new Apple ID and or a new iTunes library file for my iMac, because the Apps I would be installing on my iMac would be different/not compatible with the Apps I would have on my iPhone, or would the iPhone Apps be simply not installed onto my iMac and vice versa with my iPhone has they are for different devices/machines?

Presently I have a different iTunes library file for both my iPhone and iPad (but the Apple ID is the same on the iPhone and iPad), the reason been is that I have some things on my iPhone, that I do not want on my iPad and vice versa and I find this method the easiest way to ensure this. Would I need to do the same thing on my iMac?

Sorry for all the questions 🙂

iMessage on iMac question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.