Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't sort Lana del ray on iphone, even though itunes has sorted it by surname

I recently purchased this album on itunes and as per usual had to manually update the sorting details for artist names so that it appears under d for del ray not lana, I managed to do so and on itunes and my ipod classic they have moved over to the d section but on my iphone she still appears under "L" even after a manual resest and a sync. Can anyone help?

imac, Mac OS X (10.7), mac teenager

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:29 AM

10 replies

Nov 16, 2012 2:10 PM in response to owen54321

Sorry Owen, you seem to be experiencing the problem that I want to have, namely that Lana del Ray appears in my iphone under D, not L, how are you setting your sort options, I went into sorting on get info and put in del Ray, Lana as the name to sort by and she is still appearing on my iphone under L, even though she is appearing on my ipod classic and itunes on my mac under D for del Ray.

Nov 17, 2012 3:07 AM in response to roonz

Hi Roonz,

Yeah the way you've explained above about sorting your music is the same way I'd do it - going into Get Info, Sorting tab (Sort Artist, Sort Album Artist).

What I've did (so that Lana Del Ray appears in my L's instead of my D's is to give two character spaces between Lana and Del Rey (Lana Del Rey) and that has worked - she now appears in my "L" section of my list of Artists. It's not ideal, and I shouldn't have to do that though. Incidently, I'm also having the problem on my iPhone!

So I wonder if you enter Lana Del Rey as "Del Rey, Lana" (without the quotation marks obviously!) if that will work? Let me know what you think!

Owen

Nov 17, 2012 3:49 AM in response to owen54321

You should either clear both Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist to have "Lana Del Rey" sorted under D or set Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist to "Del Rey, Lana" to have her sorted under D. Set both values to ensure the correct sort order whether or not you have "Use Album Artists" enabled. After making the change you may need to close and reopen iTunes for it to resort the column browser. Syncing should update the device, though sometimes it seems necessary to remove and then reimport content.

See Grouping tracks into albums for general tips on organizing content.

tt2

Nov 17, 2012 4:52 AM in response to turingtest2

Ooops!!!

turingtest2 wrote:

You should either clear both Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist to have "Lana Del Rey" sorted under L or set Sort Artist and Sort Album Artist to "Del Rey, Lana" to have her sorted under D.

This change needs to be applied consistently across the whole library. A compilation track with wrong sort value, for example, can make the name appear in a different location from that you want. Resetting a device may help it rearrange the sort as expected.

tt2

Nov 17, 2012 5:51 AM in response to turingtest2

Yes, I had tried all that and it hasn't worked. The only way around it for me is having two character spaces between "Lana" and "Del Rey" in the sort fields so that it reads "Lana Del Rey" (I shouldn't have to do that, however) - it then appears in the L section. Yes I'm aware of compilation tracks which can go into the wrong sorting area (I'm really fussy about what is filed where!) - so that's why I was suprised when this album wasn't being filed automatically under L.

Oh well!

Can't sort Lana del ray on iphone, even though itunes has sorted it by surname

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.