Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

movie thumbnails blank

I have Aperture 3.4.3 on a newly installed Mountain Lion 10.8.2. It is a MacBook Pro which was running Lion. However, last week I had to replace at the Apple Store the hard drive and logic board. When my machine came home, I had troubles with the "blue screen", so installed Mountain Lion. The machine is running fine. I have run updates and it should be a fresh machine.

In Aperture, all of my movies function, but their thumbnails are blank or black.

I have run the usual three steps launching Aperture with Option Command. No change.

I have run Disk Utilities regarding permissions and checking HD from a Recovery boot. No change.

Done the restarts, Zapped PRAM, and done a Safeboot.

Any other thoughts?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:06 AM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2012 7:47 AM in response to William Hooper

Is your Aperture library on an external drive or on your system drive?

Are the videos imported into the library ore referenced? What kind of videos, what is the camera type?

Have you tried to recreate the thumbnails for your movies? You can do that by selecting the movies and using the command "File > Generate Thumbnail".

Or try to set the poster frame again. The movie poster frame will show as thumbnail in the browser. The poster frame can be set in the Movie Editor. Click the cogwheel, when the movie controls are displayed:

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

Nov 14, 2012 8:02 AM in response to William Hooper

I went to iPhoto 11 (version 9.4.2) and switched library's importing the Aperture Library. Same thing. All movies have blank thumbnails which function.

Exported a movie to the desktop. A generic xxx.mov icon appears with the proper title but no thumbnail image.

Opened iMovie. Imported the movie. A blue thumbnail was present. iMovie asked me to create thumbnails for Aperture and iPhoto movies. Accepted. in iMovie the blue thumbnail was gone away.

I reopened both Aperture and iPhoto. Same blank thumbnail.

movie thumbnails blank

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.