Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AddressBookSourceSync slows Mountain Lion to a standstill ...

I have a MBP (circa 2009) with 4GB RAM. Recently, I installed an update to iPhoto and had been having issues with PhotoStream. To solve the problem, I disabled and reenabled iCloud. This solved the problem for iPhoto but created another, much worse, problem.

AddressBookSourceSync runs to sync my contacts with iCloud. Basically, when this process runs, nothing else does. It not only consumes all of the CPU cycles, but eats all of the RAM too (2.5GB + of available RAM). I have no idea why this process would need so much RAM and the only way to fix it is to stop the process from running from Activity Monitor. Not only is this annoying but my contacts are no longer syncing.

Anyone have any answers or better yet, solutions to this problem ?? Thanks !!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Circa 2009

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 8:51 AM

5 replies

Dec 2, 2012 1:46 PM in response to puckcoach3

OMG, I've been dealing with this SAME problem. Trying to get all contacts synced between iPHone, iPad and Macbook Pro but have not had much success. Then I fire up MBP today to find that 'AddressBookSourceSync' is chewing up about 2/3 of my 8GB of memory.

I have about 1800 contacts so I'm wondering if the size of your Contacts is what's slowing it down because my Macbook (like yours) is pretty much at a stand still and useless.

All I see anymore or spinning beach balls.

I wanna force quit the 'AddressBookSourceSync' but does anyone know if I do that will it mess something up?

Turning off Contacts syncing doesn't seem like that should be an option. Shouldn't a sync service 'iCloud' whose sole purpose is to sync an backup and, ultimately, force you to buy more space, actually WORK?!

VERY frustrating.

Tried to add screenshot of my activity monitor but macbook wasn't having that.

Dec 17, 2012 10:13 PM in response to zamboknee

I have nearly 18000 contacts, 10 times more than zamboknee.

I use iCloud because I must do so to share contact in the company.

Any time there is a slight change in the adress book then Mail goes crazy for about a minute. Then go back to normal.

--

If this trouble comes from iCloud, is there a possibility to use third party server instead of Apple iCloud ?

AddressBookSourceSync slows Mountain Lion to a standstill ...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.