Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crackling noises when using Scarlett 2i2?

Just bought the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 yesterday as my previous audio interface broke. Now I am having crackling noises when using the 2i2. . .a problem I did not have with my previous M-Audio Fast Track C400. . .so I know it's a problem specific to the 2i2. Already downloaded the latest drivers as well.

Anybody have any solutions or similar problems with this product??? The crackling noise is intolerable.😢

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:27 PM

If you're still running 10.7.4 try updating.

If the Focusrite driver let you change bitrate try that also.

19 replies

Nov 15, 2012 9:37 AM in response to cauchy

Hi cauchy,

This is typically caused by a low buffer size. Please raise the buffer size in your recording software, and the crackling should go away.

If you're still having issues, contact our tech support team here for more help: http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/contact.php

Best regards,

David Tichauer // Focusrite Technical Support

Oct 5, 2013 8:35 PM in response to cauchy

Hi, I have just purchased a brand new iMac and downloaded Logic Pro x, I also purchased the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface. I have downloaded the drivers from the focusrite website and everything is set up, when I plug in guitar or mic I get really bad clapping and crackling to the point where the sound cuts out altogether. I have changed buffer size and sample rates and everything else I can think of but nothing seems to fix the problem. I also deleted the 2i2 drivers and logic and reinstalled them both but still have the same issue, when I record using the iMac built in mic everything is fine so it's deffinately something to do with the interface. I am waiting to hear back from Focusrite tech help.

Oct 8, 2013 2:19 AM in response to StevieElliot

hi stevie, i have also just purchased an apple imac and the scarlett 2i2 studio package. im using logic and can not seem to get this to work. the audio i record crackles and pops then the sound goes completley. it also happens when im using a soft synth from logic. it will play the sounds from any instrument i select, but after a while it ill crackle and fade away into no sound at all, i re-start the mac to get sound back only for it all happen again.

is there anyone who can help.

have i purchased a mac that is not upto the job, or is the sound card not upto the job.

Oct 8, 2013 2:45 AM in response to lee-marc-smith

Hi lee, it sounds like the problem your having is exactly the same as mine. When I use the 2i2 there is clapping and crackling which gets worse and worse until the sound disappears, I know a few people on different forums are having the same issue so I don't think it is the interface. I'm using iMac 27

• NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2GB GDDR5

• 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz

• 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB

• 1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

There should be no problems with this set up in terms of capability, I'm still waiting to hear back from Focusrite tech help desk and when I do I'll share the outcome. I hope this can be resolved, let me know if you have any luck before me?

If I was in the UK I would pick up the phone and call Focusrite but I'm in Australia!!

Steve

Nov 17, 2013 11:14 AM in response to cauchy

I also have the crackling noise problem and have not recieved any answer from support yet.

I notice it get gradually worse until it goes completely silent. Though when it is bad, if I change the sampling rate in MIDI settings to something else, the crackling resets but later gradually slowly comes back. So it has to have something to do with the sampling rate I guess...

Any solution?

Nov 22, 2013 8:12 AM in response to lagstrom

Hi all!

I have the solution. I called the support and they said that the new USB drivers on the new mac's are not configured to work perfectly with the scarlet interfaces. So he send me a download link and instructions. I'm so happy this worked. Here is his email back to me, hope it helps you!

"Thanks for your call and sorry to learn of the problems you are having with your Focusrite product.

Some users have reported experiencing audio glitches and drop outs with the Scarlett range of interfaces since updating to OSX 10.9 Mavericks. If you are experiencing these problems with your interface, it is possible to utilise Apple’s USB audio driver by downloading and running the class compliant mode application below, while we investigate further.

Please note: After the class compliant mode application has been unzipped, please right click on the application and choose "Open". If you do not do this you may get an error message from the Apple Gatekeeper service

http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/answerbase/ClassComplia ntMode.app_.zip

Please feel free to call us back on +44 1494 462246"

Crackling noises when using Scarlett 2i2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.