Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview Disabled

I'm trying to capture a PAL tape with a Sony NTSC Camera. It plays back on the camera fine. and I also have full deck control and see audio levels coming into the computer but the preview is disbled. All the settings are on PAL easy setup. How can I fix this?

iMac G4 1.25Ghz 20, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Apr 19, 2006 1:03 PM

15 replies

Apr 19, 2006 1:28 PM in response to Ryan Aquino

Try this...it might be the Quicktime Upgrade issue:

#30 - Deck recognition after Tiger Upgrade:

Shane's Stock Answer #30:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=1063600&#1063600

The credit for this goes to Bob Sidebotham:

I was just walked through a repair procedure by an Apple Care person, and it fixed my camera recognition problems (I have a Canon XL1 and sometime after installing Tiger, then 10.4.1, various patches (including Quicktime 7.1) and the latest Desktop Video patch, I've been unable to use the camera with Final Cut Express, and attempts to capture would result in a FCE crash).

The workaround is to download Quicktime manually, after removing the "receipts" which indicate that it is loaded. Specifically, I was told to do the following:

1. Navigate to Library -> Receipts on your main drive (not from your personal folder).

2. Remove all files of the form QuickTime*.pkg, where "*" is a version number. E.g. QuickTime600.pkg, QuickTime650.pkg, Quicktime700.pkg and QuickTime701.pkg. This simply tells your system that those packages are not installed.

3. Go to http://www.apple.com/quicktime/downloads and click on the "download Quicktime" link. DO NOT USE THE AUTOMATIC UPDATE UTILITY. Download QuickTimeInstallerX.dmg. Double click this file (probably on your desktop) and then invoke the installer by double clicking QuickTime701.pkg.

4. After your computer reboots, you should be able to restart FCP and see your camera.

BUT...it might also be an issue where the camera is able to play a PAL tape back internally, but not send out the PAL signal via firewire. But that is just a shot in the dark.

Shane
User uploaded file

Apr 19, 2006 2:59 PM in response to Ryan Aquino

I haven't tried it yet. BUT i did capture a test clip yesterday, and it was able to see video. So i don't know why I can't do it today.

I also tried the camera on Adobe Premiere, and same thing, no video preview. Could it be that the camera can playback PAL internally but not output it via firewire? Since it's doing the same problem on both platforms?

Apr 29, 2006 3:46 PM in response to Ryan Aquino

I was sharing your exact problem except inside-out (my deck is pal my footage is NTSC). I tried the Quicktime trash reinstall and no change. I found another thread here that solved it:

http://www.uemedia.net/CPC/2-pop/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=113259&an= 0&page=0

Very low tech solution. I had to change all my settings to NTSC; close FCP; play the footage in the camera; then reopen FCP while playing and, in effect, jam the NTSC signal down its throat. I'm guessing you could do the same, only change your settings to PAL. Hope it helps.

Aug 16, 2006 1:10 AM in response to Ryan Aquino

Hey all!

This is my first post to the forum and hopefully it will help someone out there. . .

I am running FCP 5.1 on a MacBook Pro, using my Canon GL2 for the time being as a source deck and saving onto a GTech G-Raid 320GB external harddrive.
I was having the same problem - couldn't preview my footage even though I had device control. Apparently, FCP wasn't happy reading signals from both my external harddrive and my camera and if I shut down the harddrive and used my computers harddrive for a cache, capture would work fine and I could preview my footage.

My solution was to run my camera and external harddrive through a dv repeater ( datavideo vp-332 ) and then run a single firewire cable from the repeater to my computer. For some reason, this seems to have done the trick. I have opened FCP from my computer, opened projects from my external harddrive, every variation I could think of for testing compatibility of the components. Although the 'preview disabled' is still displayed over the colorbars at the beginning of log and capture, I have consistently been able to preview footage as it imports and the problem has not reoccurred.

macbookpro Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Preview Disabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.