Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini and 30" ACD plus a second monitor on hdmi port

Hello, I'd like to know whether the 2012 Mac mini (mid level) can simultaneously accomodate the following two monitors I already own:

An Apple Cinema Display 30", 2560 x 1600 resolution, which currently I use on a 2009 MBP with a dual-link adaptor, which uses the miniDisplay port and an additional USB port on the MBP. If I use the Thunderbolt port on the new Mac mini for this monitor, will I still need to use the additional USB port?

And a Samsung monitor with 1600 x 1200 resolution, which I would use the hdmi-to-dvi adaptor for. Will it run at full resolution, and will it run from the hdmi port at the same time that the ACD is running from the thunderbolt port?

Last question: has anyone found whether you can daisychain a non-thunderbolt display to a thunderbolt-equipped external storage device connected to the Mac mini's thunderbolt port, by plugging in the miniDisplay port adaptor into the device's second thunderbolt port? If so, could I run the 30" ACD this way with the dual-link adaptor by using the second Thunderbolt port on the external drive and a USB port on the Mac mini?

Thank you, it is surprisingly difficult to get the answers to these questions as I plan my purchase.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 17", early 2009

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:22 AM

There are no replies.

Mac mini and 30" ACD plus a second monitor on hdmi port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.