Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon iR5050 Job Accounting Error on Mountain Lion - PAHU HELP!

Hi --

I specifically mentioned the user PAHU because he seems to have all the answers when it comes to this stuff.

I am the lone Mac user using our networked Canon ImageRunner 5050. The printer uses Job Accounting. I have an ID and password, and I even created a second ID and password to test.

BEFORE installing Mountain Lion, I would get a dialog box every time I printed that forced me to type in the ID/Password for the printer. It worked just fine for years.

AFTER installing Mountain Lion, the printer started to freak out. My department ID is, let's say, 299. The dialog box would pop up and I'd enter the ID number as always. However, it would then print 299 copies of whatever it was I was printing.

So, I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it with the newest driver from Canon (which says on the website is UFRII 2.42; however, my Printer Prefs just says "2.0" - see attached image.)

Now that I have the "new" driver, I don't ever get a dialog box. Instead, it always comes up with error # 15513 and says "Incorrect ID or Password. Specify the correct ID and Password.: 15513"

I have used the Printer Utility and have put in every combination of ID/password I could think of -- including, as I said above, a brand new ID and password I created on the printer itself.

I work on a large University campus and no one knows what to do. Tech support told me to call the printer contractor. The printer contractor told me to call the other tech support. The other tech support told me to call the first tech support. I even spent a few hours trying to retrieve my "old" drivers in Time Machine because I was willing to get 300 copies of whatever I wanted to print out.

Does anyone have ANY clue what else I can do?

Thank you.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 1:19 PM

6 replies

Nov 14, 2012 3:14 PM in response to relliottin

The new UFR2 driver for Mountain Lion functions differently to the previous versions. With regards to Dept ID (Job Accounting), you no longer have the option to get a pop-up. I don't know why Canon has changed this but they have and you therefore have to change your workflow.

So, with the new driver installed (and you have to use this new version on Mtn Lion) you need to open the Printer Utility to enable Dept ID Management. Otherwise you get the errors you mention. Open Print & Scan and select the iR5050 printer. Then press Options & Supplies followed by Utility and then Open Printer Utility. This will open the Canon UFRII Printer Utility and have a section where you can enable Dept ID and set your ID and password. There is also a Verify button that will let you check that the ID is correct and does communicate with the printer. With the ID/pwd set you can then press Save Settings and quit the utility (you have to click on Canon UFRII Printer Utility in the menubar and select Quit - or use Command Q).

With the Dept ID set in the utility you can now open a document and select to print to the iR5050. If you change the print dialog menu to Special Features, you should now see that Dept ID is enabled and you should be able to print and get a document out of the iR without the previous error.

With regards to using a different ID than that set in the UFRII Utility, you can change the ID via the Special Features menu of the driver. This new ID will be used for that job, and when you print it again, the default will be use unless you open Special Features and set another ID to print with.

Hope this helps you. Reply if you need more assistance.

Jul 25, 2013 4:51 PM in response to PAHU

This was helpful in getting my school to be able to print to the ir5050 again, but I have a new problem I hope you might have some insight on. Now that they are printing I need them to print duplex and there is not an option in the UFR2 driver for Duplex printing. I've set up duplex in the web interface, but the individual machines don't have an option that I can find. Any help would be grately appreciated.

Mike Gifford

Jordan School District

Jul 25, 2013 5:28 PM in response to macwiz

For the UFR2 driver, if you select the Finishing menu, you should see an entry called Print Style and below this the menu to select 2 sided or 1 sided (or booklet for models with a saddle finisher).

Below I have shown the Finishing menu - highlighting the Print Style menu.

User uploaded file

Note that for later versions of the UFR2 driver, such as v2.43 used in the example above, the 2-sided (duplex) setting is the default.

Aug 8, 2013 1:00 PM in response to relliottin

Pahu --

Thank you for the help you've provided. I can see the Department ID setup in the Printer Utility. However, it will not accept the department ID that I used before Mountain Lion.

When the popup used to appear, it asked for a username (or ID, can't remember) and password. I could type in a 3 digit department ID and leave the password blank and it would print.

However, the Department ID setup in the Printer Utility will not validate with a blank password.

Further, I have tried to create a new department ID (with password) on the printer itself but I'm sure I've done it incorrectly or don't have the rights because it does not work.

So:

1. Does anyone know how I can input an "empty" password into the Printer Utility
  2. OR: Can someone provide the steps to put in a new department ID on the printer?

I know these are ridiculous questions, but whoever originally set up the printer has long flown the coop (along with every admin password I'm sure) and I'm still, almost a year later, completely stuck.

Thank you in advance.

Aug 8, 2013 2:43 PM in response to relliottin

In reply to the two questions;

1. I know that you cannot enable Dept ID and leave the ID and password fields blank. In order for the Save Settings button to appear, you must at least enter an ID, although I am not sure about the need for the password. Whenever I have tested Dept ID management I have always had a password with the ID.

I will not be able to test the password need till next Monday. But if you are finding that the Save Settings button is not visible until you enter a password with the ID then it would suggest this is the case.

2. To enter a new Dept ID with password you will need the system admin account and password for the iR. If you don't know this account and password you can contact your Canon support in your region. They can organise a technician to come out to reset the system manager account. Or they may even help you over the phone to do it.

With a new System admin account and password set in the iR, you can then access the Dept ID management menu and create a new ID or modify an existing one.

Canon iR5050 Job Accounting Error on Mountain Lion - PAHU HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.