Skip navigation

Free songs no charge public domain?

232 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 15, 2012 7:32 AM by varjak paw RSS
Adam The Texas Sicilian Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 14, 2012 2:18 PM

Are there any holiday songs that would be free of charge on Itunes?

Typically you still have to pay for some public domain music even though you can use it free of charge. But every once in a while you'll find a cool deal and not have to pay at all.

We've got ASCAP and BMI where I work with needle drop, but I'm just curious about the above. I did find some civil war tunes on here for free.  I think it was somebody here that helped direct me to them.

Thanks for any assistance

Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.3.9)
  • varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (167,215 points)
    Nov 14, 2012 2:41 PM (in response to Adam The Texas Sicilian)

It's possible Apple will offer some free holiday music - they've done so in the past - but no music in the iTunes Store is public domain. All music they offer has the performance copyrighted even if the tune and lyrics are public domain. And by your contract with the iTunes Store you can only use tracks for personal use; you cannot use them in any sort of public or commercial setting, if that's what you meant. If you're looking for music that is free of any performance license and royalty, you'll have to look to other sources.

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

• varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (167,215 points)
    Nov 15, 2012 7:32 AM (in response to Adam The Texas Sicilian)

They'll be listed right on the main iTunes Store page and in the Free on iTunes section of the Store. Just keep checking there every week. What is offered for free on one country's store may or may not be free in others, so posting here could easily be misleading.

Regards.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.