Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Free songs no charge public domain?

Are there any holiday songs that would be free of charge on Itunes?

Typically you still have to pay for some public domain music even though you can use it free of charge. But every once in a while you'll find a cool deal and not have to pay at all.

We've got ASCAP and BMI where I work with needle drop, but I'm just curious about the above. I did find some civil war tunes on here for free. I think it was somebody here that helped direct me to them.

Thanks for any assistance

Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:41 PM

It's possible Apple will offer some free holiday music - they've done so in the past - but no music in the iTunes Store is public domain. All music they offer has the performance copyrighted even if the tune and lyrics are public domain. And by your contract with the iTunes Store you can only use tracks for personal use; you cannot use them in any sort of public or commercial setting, if that's what you meant. If you're looking for music that is free of any performance license and royalty, you'll have to look to other sources.

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2012 2:41 PM in response to Adam The Texas Sicilian

It's possible Apple will offer some free holiday music - they've done so in the past - but no music in the iTunes Store is public domain. All music they offer has the performance copyrighted even if the tune and lyrics are public domain. And by your contract with the iTunes Store you can only use tracks for personal use; you cannot use them in any sort of public or commercial setting, if that's what you meant. If you're looking for music that is free of any performance license and royalty, you'll have to look to other sources.

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

Free songs no charge public domain?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.