Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP attempting to auto-connect to share from Drobo FS outside of network?

I have a Drobo FS and a Macbook Pro connected to my home network. When I take my MBP outside of my network, it seems it still tries to auto-connect to a share on my Drobo FS and I get the "Connection failed" error pop up.

User uploaded file

When I select ok, it continuously pops back up every minute or two to the point I have to leave it up and move it to an area on the screen that won't get in the way. This is very annoying to say the least. I can also add that this error pops up everytime I boot the MBP up too, even when I am in my home network. It seems it tries to auto-connect to this share before the Drobo FS is discovered. Once it is discovered a minute or two later, it connects with no error.

I have checked login items and there is nothing on there that is a shortcut or link to anything on the share. I do store all my iTunes library on this share, but do not have iTunes open when this error pops up.

Any idea what might be causing this and a way to fix it?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:44 PM

16 replies

Nov 28, 2012 12:40 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

I do not mean this with any disrespect nor am I trying to be a jerk, but I find it very hard to believe that someone must be experiencing the very same problem in order to give me any insight or help. I also find it very hard to believe that no one has ever experienced this or something like it. So no one has any idea what could be causing this and/or any steps to try to see if it can be resolved?

Nov 28, 2012 12:45 PM in response to useraddict

No need to have had the same issue happen to you to be able to offer assistance, tips, or opinions; I agree 🙂

The only reason I can think of why that would be happening is because something is pointing at a file/resource that resides on that shared volume. You've already checked login items, so that's ruled out. How about the sidebar on your regular Finder windows, or your Dock? You can place shortcuts there to folders located on a network volume (or to the network volumes themselves), so check for that as well.

Nov 28, 2012 12:54 PM in response to borgeano

Thanks for the suggestion borgeano. I don't have anything that points to the Drobo on my Finder sidebar, and I don't have any shortcuts in my Dock. I totally agree that this behavior seems like what you suggested (something pointing to something on the Drobo), I just can't find where it is. Any ideas for other places to look, or how to search for where this may be?

Nov 28, 2012 1:54 PM in response to borgeano

I can confirm there's no app trying to launch, but I am using the Drobo as a target for an automated Time Machine backup. I haven't considered that as the possible culprit though, because I have it scheduled to only try and access the target once a day (at 3am) and do the backup. Do you think it is possible that it's trying to access this target as soon as it starts up and when I leave my network?

Nov 28, 2012 2:32 PM in response to useraddict

hmm... probably not, unless you have an application that requires one of those linked files to be opened.

Not sure if this is the case, but does the pop up appear also when nothing is running but Finder? If so, open Activity Monitor and start shutting down processes (make sure to not shut down critical system ones, so filter by "My Processes") one by one and see when the error stops.

Nov 28, 2012 2:44 PM in response to borgeano

Well if you refer back to my first post, it pops up even when I'm first booting up the MBP (even within my home network). Ofcourse nothing is running then except Finder. The only difference when this happens (as apposed to when it pops up when I take it outside the network) is that when I hit ok, soon after (once the Drobo is discovered), it no longer pops up.

MBP attempting to auto-connect to share from Drobo FS outside of network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.