Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will 12v dock w/lightning adapter charge iP5?

I have an older ipod dock that hooks up to my car stereo with audio and charging capability. It won't charge a iPhone 4 or 4S because it uses the old 12v firewire wiring/charging. If I purchase something called a Scosche Passport or a generic 12v to 5v adapter that should fix the problem. However, I just purchased an iPhone 5 and was wondering if I still need a 12v to 5v adapter in addition to a new 30pin to lightning adapter. I was wondering if the new 30 Pin to Lightning would convert the old 12v firewire to work with lightning. If so, I wouldn't need yet another accessory to make things work.

Please let me know if anyone has an answer for me. Worst case scenario: I go to Target and buy a 30-L Adapter and then return it.

Thanks,

Josh

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:18 AM

pretty sure the converter would not add compatability for old firewire

the opposite seems to be what people repport as in av pin30 of newer date not working with the converter

4 replies

Will 12v dock w/lightning adapter charge iP5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.