Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet connection randomly disconnects

I've had my 21.5inch iMac for about 8 months now (Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5) and my computer keeps disconnecting from my internet signal if we leave it alone for a minute. As long as i'm on the internet and clocking things and scrolling, it's fast and awesome, but as soon as i let it sit for a minute, the connection's gone.

I have multiple devices using this connection:

• iPod Touch (4th gen)
  • iPhone (4S)
  • Xbox 360
  • Laptop
  • iMac

all of my devices use the internet beautifully, no disconnections or complications, super fast too, except for the iMac. The iMac is the only one that disconnects, so i've deducted that my issue is with the iMac itself... but i'm not sure what exactly it is.

i should've asked Apple for help from the get-go, but i figured i'd figure it out sometime, or it'd go away - it didn't.

if anyone has anything they can share that might help me out that's be great.

PS - i know how to get onto my connection hub if necessary, so if someone tells me to go there, i already know how, i just don't know what to do there to fix it IF that's where the issue lies.

help please.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:52 PM

Hi, this has worked for a few...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.7…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Click OK.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2012 6:52 PM in response to SDRevill

Hi, this has worked for a few...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.7…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Click OK.

internet connection randomly disconnects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.