Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sides of video are cropped when exported from FCP7

Quick 5-second that has a large JPEG ( 4000x2225) graphic. When the video is exported the sides are cropped by about an inch on each side. In the preview window the image appears fine and the crop only shows up after export.

Is this an issue with the size of the picture?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 3:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:51 PM

What are your export settings and what are your Sequence settings?

-DH

23 replies

Nov 14, 2012 9:59 PM in response to TrifocalProductions

Sequence:

Frame Size - 1920 x 1080,

Export Settings:

DV NTSC 48 kHz Anamorphic

And thats the problem. DV Anamorphic is 720x480 (DV pixels are not square) which displays as 854x480 on a computer screen. 1920x1080 isn't evenly divisible into 854x480.

DV is also a very low end codec. Why are you exporting to that?

Check the Current Settings button on export instead of changing the codec, that way you have a 1:1 copy of what was on your Timeline.

Nov 15, 2012 7:05 AM in response to Nick Holmes

I usually exprot to DV becasue 99% of my work is shot on MiniDV SD video and I do usually use "current settings" for export, but I thought even if the sequence changed that maybe FCP might have automically used the DV setting becasue that's what I usually had my sequence as.

When usuing "current settings" or speciffically choosing a ProRes 1080 export setting the edges are cropped as much, but there's still some of the edge missing.User uploaded file

On the bottom left side by the left, a little of the image is missing.

Than I went and looked at older videos I had in SD & it appears that they have had this issue as well, but I never seemed to notice.

User uploaded file

Again, the left side of the image where the left edge of the "0" gets cut off.

Sequence for this project:

720 x 480, FPS-29.97, Compressor-DV/DVCPRO-NTSC, Pixel Aspect-NTSC-CCIR 601, Field Dominance-Lower (Even)

Export

Current Settings

Also, when I import video to timeline I drop video that the project needs to be in and have the sequence match to the video settings.

Nov 16, 2012 11:05 AM in response to TrifocalProductions

First, try rendering it before exporting the sequence. In the sequence menu, make sure all options are clicked in the approriate render options

Try nesting the shot before export. Select the clip in the timeline and hit option-c. If it looks right, double-click on the "nest" and render it and then step out of the clip and render the nest.

Nov 17, 2012 6:23 AM in response to TrifocalProductions

Not sure what's going on, but why not resize the graphic in photoshop to your target size?

If you want to try and isolate what's causing the problem, create a new sequence with the same settings. Edit the graphic into the new sequence and do an export. Do you see the same problem? If not, your original sequence is probably corrupt. To fix this, create a new sequence with the same settings, make the old sequence active, select all, copy and paste into the new sequence.

If this didn't solve the problem, if you want copy this graphic only sequence into a new project and send me the fcp project and the graphic, I'll see if I can figure out what's going on. Be sure and "zip" or compress the fcp project file before attaching to an email.

My email is mgrenadier@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2012 8:45 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

I've resized the graphic several times in Photoshop, once to the target resolution and other times to ones smaller or larger than the target.

The issue happens with them, plus the main issue is that I notice it happens with projects or any resolution/video type. Everytime I export a video, it loses half a centimeter or the left & right sides, but it looks fine in the preview window of FCP.

Nov 17, 2012 9:24 AM in response to TrifocalProductions

Have you tried viewing the QuickTime with QuickTime Pro, instead of QuickTime X?

You should be able to find QuickTime Pro in the folder Utilities > QuickTime Player 7.app.

I am always suspicious of QuickTime X.

I made a movie with a slight red edge in FCP 7:

User uploaded file

Here it is, with edge displayed, in QuickTime Pro:

User uploaded file

and here is the same movie, missing edge, in QuickTime X:

User uploaded file

This may have something to do with the Conform aperture settings available in QuickTime Pro that are not available in QuickTime X:

User uploaded file

MtD

Nov 17, 2012 10:41 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Yes! viewing it with QT 7 shows the whole edge and also tested an mp4 of the video on a friends windows laptop and the it shows the whole frame.

Though I do have a bit of a follow-up question, I had some other videos uploaded to YouTube that I checked and have the same issie. I can view them with QT 7 and see the whole frame, but on YouTube they are missing some the frame, is that just the way YouTube encodes videos?

Nov 17, 2012 11:48 AM in response to TrifocalProductions

I do not know how YouTube encodes. I use Vimeo, and have not had a problem.

Here is how my test movie appears on Vimeo, both in SD and HD:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

But in any case, being old (very old) school, I keep all my content within the TV safe / Action safe SMPTE boundaries - regardless of final playback destination (web/broadcast/projection) - as there are so many variables in the workflow between edit bay and delivery.

MtD

Mar 3, 2014 9:01 PM in response to TrifocalProductions

Im having a similar problem to this, i didnt want to make a new topic.

So ok im filming Sd mini dv video, When i export current settings which would be dv/ dvc pro - ntsc evertime i use that in the compressor it always chops the sides off a tad bit of video. If i use h.264 in compressor then the sides arent chopped off at all.

I dont know why this is happenign but its only on dv/dvc pro - ntsc setting

I need to burn this project on a dvd best quality i can so dv/dvc pro - ntsc setting would be best quality but the sides are being chopped off. If anyone can help me it be much appreciated thanks

Mar 4, 2014 2:21 AM in response to Filmnj

>>im filming Sd mini dv video, When i export current settings which would be dv/ dvc pro - ntsc evertime i use that in the compressor it always chops the sides off a tad<<

From your description, I'm not clear on how you're exporting. From FCP you should be exporting a "QuickTime Movie" which would create a self-contained or reference movie that would then be used in Compressor. Do NOT use "QuickTime Conversion." Or you can "Send to Compressor" directly from FCP.

Once in Compressor you'd use one of the NTSC DVD presets for use in a DVD authoring application. There would be no reason to re-encode to DV/DVCPpro NTSC as your description suggests ... that's what you should be starting with in FCP.

-DH

Sides of video are cropped when exported from FCP7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.