Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot install updates of OS X 10.6.3 or any other software

I just have just successfully installed Snow Leopard 10.6.1 from a CD. I then tried downloading various updates for 10.6.3 both manually from Apple web site and using Software update. I have also tried updating my Skype, RealPlayer and Flash Player. Everytime I try and install updates or upgrades I get an error message such as "image data corrupted" or "invalid checksum". I have tried repairing my hard drive using an external startup disc and Disk Utility (it was apparently Ok and no repair needed) and I have repaired permissions 4 times. Still I get the error messages. I also performed a Safe Restart at some point. The only possible clue I have as to the source of this problem is that when I repair permissions there is a message which may or may not be related:

"Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Remote Maagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired." I have no idea what this means, whether it could be causing my installation problems, or what to do about it. Anyone have any ideas please??

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.3), 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:57 PM

That message isn't related. Ask your ISP if there's a problem with the quality of your Internet connection.

(71616)

5 replies

Nov 29, 2012 6:22 PM in response to Niel

Thanks for your reply Niel. It at least set me thinking and indirectly led to a solution. Before approaching my ISP (the thought of spending 20 mins on hold before getting to an advisor who will probably tell me I need yet another new modem doesn't much appeal!) I decided to try a few things. I connected my Macbook directly to my modem with a USB cable, giving up my wireless connection and bypassing my Airport express. I was then able to download most of the indicated software updates and install them when I did them one by one rather than all at once. I still was unable to update the system software (which was the original point of the exercise) but somewhere along the way - I can't now remember how or the exact sequence of events - I became aware that that Apple Software Update application needed updating too (although Software Update itself didn't tell me this). Once I had done this I was able to download and install the system 10.6.8 Combo update. It was all a bit of a mission and took me far longer than such a supposedly straightforward operation rightly should but I got there in the end. I wish I could remember how I discovered that Software Update needed updating because that could be an important piece of the jigsaw for anyone else witha similar problem who is reading this. Maybe if in doubt do it anyway (it's available from the Apple Downloads section (http://support.apple.com/downloads/).

Niel, I have another question regarding the message I got when I repaired permissions: "Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Remote Maagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired." Do you know what the impllications of this are and should I be worried??

Thanks. Francis

Nov 30, 2012 1:52 AM in response to francis.vine

As long as the report ends up with 'Permissions repair complete' then, as far as permissions go, you are fine. You can ignore the various statements in the report:

Permissions you can ignore on 10.5 onwards:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1448

Using 'should be -rw-r--r-- , they are lrw-r--r--' as an example, you will see the that the permissions are not changed, but the | indicates a different location. This is because an update to Leopard onwards changed the location of a number of system components.

Poster rccharles has provided this description of what it all means:

drwxrwxrwx

d = directory

r = read

w = write

x = executeable program

drwxrwxrwx

| | |

| | all other users not in first two types

| |

| group

|

owner

a little more info

Before the user had read & write. A member of the group had read.

After, only the user had read & write.

Cannot install updates of OS X 10.6.3 or any other software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.