Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

smtp certificate very strange

For the last few days, when I send mail, I would receive a message saying that the certificate for the smtp server was signed by an unknown authority.

The certificate shown is called "localhost" issued by "Test CA20010517" and expired 7 March 2004. The issuer is "RTFM, Inc Widgets Division".

This looks really fishy to me. Even more, I can not find it in my keychain.

How did it get there and how do I get rid of it? Can I change Apple Mail settings to ignore this certificate and find some other valid ones? I have gone to http://www.apple.com/certificateauthority/ and downloaded the root certificate and installed it as system certificate as well as root.

The stmp server is the one that works best for me, and I should like to keep it.

I am running 10.6.8 on a 27" iMac.

Please see attached screen capture.

Thanks for your help.

KTUser uploaded file

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:26 PM

4 replies

Nov 14, 2012 8:04 PM in response to unckt

It looks odd. In Mail 4.6 , in your Preferences > Accounts: outgoing Mail server selection > (click in there) and click on edit the SMTP list, does that name appear there, ie smtp.netvigator.com?

If it does, is netvigator your mail provider or is your Mail provider also listed there? If netvigator is not your mail provider I'd delete that entry and reselect your existing mail provider's mail server.

Just out of curiosity, which country are you living in?

Nov 14, 2012 8:47 PM in response to roam

Thank you for your prompt response.

stmp.netvigator.com is from my ISP and I have using it for years without problem. The problem with the certificate came up a few days ago.

I called them up. As usual, tech service was clueless, but they said they would "reset my account", whatever that means. Still the same problem.

My gmail, which I access online with my MacBook Air, also goes through the same smtp server and I have no problem.

I am worried that my iMac may have been hacked.

So how can I get rid of this certificate? It does not show up on my keychain.

I live in Hong Kong, by the way.

KT

Nov 14, 2012 10:02 PM in response to unckt

I'm sorry unckt, this event throws up so many questions to which I have no answer. Perhaps make a new User account, and log into that account, and there open Mail and setup your email account with netvigator.com. This will be duplicating what you have already, but see if you can log into your email and see if the questionable certificate pops up there as well.

I agree that the certificate called Test CA... localhost that does not show in keychain access is a mystery.

smtp certificate very strange

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.