Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Software

Hello,

First time posting.

I am looking at getting my Macbook 13" software updated and was wondering a few things. First is it possible and second what should I do beforehand/after install?

I have a 2008-2009 model white Macbook 13". The current software is version 10.5.8. I realize I will have to update to, snow leopard?, first and then I should be able to update to Lion.

Model Name:MacBook
Model Identifier:MacBook4,1
Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed:2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors:1
Total Number Of Cores:2
L2 Cache:3 MB
Memory:2 GB
Bus Speed:800 MHz

Those are the specs. I just want to make sure that the upgrade will be possible. I have a friend who works in a computer shop and says he can do the update for me so getting software won't be an issue.

Second part though is I need to know what to do before he updates the software. Will I have to do a full backup onto my external hard drive? Or can I get away with just backing up the important stuff like pictures, movies, important documents? Will the update completely wipe the hard drive and delete everything? Also, how should I back up the information? I don't really feel like spending money on a back up program if possible. Would something like Time Machine be decent enough to use? And finally, if I have to do the back-up and the software update works well, how to I re-install everything from back-up? Will it re-install the old software if I re-load everything?

Sorry for so many questions, I just want to make sure I do everything right so I don't lose any important information.

Thanks!

Amy

macbook

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:02 PM

1 reply

Nov 14, 2012 9:05 PM in response to amymaebeth

Upgrading to Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion

Upgrading to Snow Leopard

You can purchase Snow Leopard by contacting Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers. The price is $19.99 plus tax. You will receive physical media - DVD - by mail.

Third-party sources for Snow Leopard are:

Snow Leopard from Amazon.com

Snow Leopard from eBay

After you install Snow Leopard you will have to download and install the Mac OS X 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1 to update Snow Leopard to 10.6.8 and give you access to the App Store.

Before upgrading check that you computer meets the minimum requirements:

Snow Leopard General requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel processor

2. 1GB of memory

3. 5GB of available disk space

4. DVD drive for installation

5. Some features require a compatible Internet service provider; fees may

apply.

6. Some features require Apple’s MobileMe service; fees and terms apply.

Upgrading to Lion

First, you need to upgrade to Snow Leopard 10.6.8 as stated above.

You can purchase Lion by contacting Customer Service: Contacting Apple for support and service - this includes international calling numbers. The cost is $19.99 (as it was before) plus tax. It's a download. You will get an email containing a redemption code that you then use at the Mac App Store to download Lion. Save a copy of that installer to your Downloads folder because the installer deletes itself at the end of the installation.

Before upgrading check that you computer meets the minimum requirements:

Lion System Requirements

1. Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or

Xeon processor

2. 2GB of memory

3. OS X v10.6.6 or later (v10.6.8 recommended)

4. 7GB of available space

5. Some features require an Apple ID; terms apply.

Upgrading to Mountain Lion

Be sure your computer meets the minimum requirements:

Apple - OS X Mountain Lion - Read the technical specifications.

Macs that can be upgraded to OS X Mountain Lion

1. iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

2. MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

3. MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

4. MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

5. Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

6. Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

7. Xserve (Early 2009)

Are my applications compatible?

See App Compatibility Table - RoaringApps - App compatibility and feature support for OS X & iOS.

Am I eligible for the free upgrade?

See Apple - Free OS X Mountain Lion upgrade Program.

For a complete How-To introduction from Apple see Apple - Upgrade your Mac to OS X Mountain Lion.

Upgrading Software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.