Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anybody else have a child with autism who is NOT happy about the new YOU TUBE app with upgrade. Now the ipad just sits there. Unfair of Apple not to give us option to downgrade to old softare.

We bought the Ipad 2 for our son who has autism. It was the first time he had something he was interested in (besides my Iphone) and we were so excited to see him carry around something that he loved. I upgraded to the new software and as everybody as discovered...NO YOU TUBE. I got the new You Tube app but it's so different and hard to use. This has created such a problem for us and besides the games he likes to play....the Ipad is useless. Now it sits and he uses an old phone someone gave us with the old you tube on it. We have this expensive machine sitting there and he is using an old iphone. I myself have tried to get familiar with the new You Tube app and it's so hard to use and doesn't always play videos. Apple is suppsed to be so supportive of the autism community and has sold MILLIONS of products to families affected by autism and now they don't give us an option to downgrade to the old software in order to regain the OLD YOU TUBE icon. Children with autism like things routine and familiar. This is NOT familiar nor is it easy to use. I'm sure we aren't the only family with a special needs child upset by this change.

iPad 2

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:10 PM

6 replies

Nov 14, 2012 11:26 PM in response to maxmama

It's not apple's way of ignoring kids, and its google fault that they designed such a poorly made app. However at this pointt, the iPad 2 is still a huge component to the world of kids with special needs, why? Because they do not view youtube as one of the ways that contributes that much to that ecosphere. Instead companies have found the iPad as a ideal platform for entertaining and teaching kids with special needs. So, I would take John's advice and go to youtube.com in safari and see if your son can navigate that any better, if so save it to your homescreen and he can access it there.

Nov 14, 2012 11:44 PM in response to John Galt

I did get the YouTube app and it's very different than before. The icon is different (which is not the biggest deal). Not all videos play and to bookmark or find history for a child is difficult. I found it not to be very intuitive either. I'm just so upset by this. To have him using an old Iphone while the Ipad and my Iphone can't be used as a motivator or reinforcer for him to do things like potty training is very frustrating. I may have to get another device in order to get the old you tube capability. I find this absurd!

Nov 15, 2012 12:00 AM in response to maxmama

I think what John and I are referring to is this: http://www.apple.com/ios/add-to-home-screen/

If you open Safari on the iPad, and type into the browser: youtube.com/

its web combatible, although its touchy, some find it a better alternative then the app, if you/your son find that experience more enriching than you can do what I mentioned in the first sentence so your son can better access that app.

Anybody else have a child with autism who is NOT happy about the new YOU TUBE app with upgrade. Now the ipad just sits there. Unfair of Apple not to give us option to downgrade to old softare.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.