Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX 10.0.6 appears to have bugs with Compound Clips

Just a warning -- I upgraded to 10.0.6 and am finding annoying problems with the handling of Compound Clips. After any non-trivial editing of Compound Clips, FCPX will just stop rendering most of your video. You will just see a black screen, occasionally with some of your titles or shapes, but the bulk of the video is suddenly not rendered any more. Sometimes you can see it briefly in flashes inbetween black screens if you frame advance with right-arrow. But the only way to get out of this situation that I have found so far is to completely exit and re-enter FCPX. Which is really tedious and annoying to have to do this every time you edit the contents of a Compound Clip.

A secondary note: Beware -- they significantly changed the behavior of Compound Clips. Compound Clips are now "linked" so if you aren't aware of this change and do something like copy and paste a Compound Clip, then innocently edit one of the pasted Compound Clips, you will unknowingly change them all. Perhaps a nice feature, but if you don't realize this change was made, and you go about doing what you used to do, you will waste some time because you will destroy all those linked Compound Clips since you didn't know they are all now linked. Kind of amazing that they would just change the behavior like this and make the new behavior the default. If you're being nice to your users, you usually try to make things work compatibily with how they worked before, requiring you to do something different to get the new behavior. I guess I learned that I better read the release notes carefully before upgrading because who knows what behavior may have changed.

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:09 PM

1 reply

Nov 15, 2012 8:41 PM in response to CraigInSanFran

After spending some time on the Phone with support, we concluded that this FCPX project has been corrupted in some unrecoverable way which caused the black screen problems with Compound Clips. I will need to rebuild the project from scratch. Whether it was corrupted by the new version or it is a coincidence that it became corrupted right about the same time is not known.

FCPX 10.0.6 appears to have bugs with Compound Clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.