Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hardware or Software Problem: Firewire Keeps Disconnecting

Hi. The My Book Studio from Western Digital, external hard drive disconnected but when I reconnect it, it won't mount because it can't even be seen by the iMac on both Windows (Bootcamp) and OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.2. I checked it's own SMART diagnostics tool and it says, it's a pass (I also used it's quick test which also says it's pass). If I connect a USB cable though it works fine but I'd rather use the Firewire.

I got to mount it when I flashed the My Book's firmware to the latest once. After that, that method doesn't work anymore. I resetted the SMC and the the PRAM just now, this one mounted. So far so good. I'm not sure if it'll disconnect and never mount again but could this be a software problem or a hardware problem. Is it the iMac's hardware or the My Book? Is it OS X or the software that My Book uses which is came with this external hardisk.

Thank you in advance.

God bless.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.3), iMac Late 2009

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:25 PM

3 replies

Hardware or Software Problem: Firewire Keeps Disconnecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.