Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it mandatory to download Mountain Lion in all of Mac PCs

I have downloaded the Mountain Lion OS X in my new iMac. I would like to upgrade my Macbook pro(Contains Snowleopard) and my father Mac too.

I have copied the Install OS X Mountain Lion.app file , and tried to open in my Macbook pro. It is not at all opening. But If I right click and give Show Package Contents, I am able to find the dmg file inside it. So, now I am able to open the launcher for installing the OS.

But I wonder, whether this could result in any problem. Because I heard that the apple will not recommend this kind of things. My internet connection is also slow, where I can't download this OS everytime.

Can anyone tell me , if we install the OS by using show package contents etc, options, is that legal ?? Will it be a problem ?

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:37 PM

It's legal but the installer couldn't be the same. I recommend you to download the installer on all your Macs and upgrade to Mountain Lion, or copy again the installer from your iMac because it could be damaged. Another possibility is to create a bootable USB disk > http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-li on-install-disk/

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2012 10:37 PM in response to rleo2joseph

It's legal but the installer couldn't be the same. I recommend you to download the installer on all your Macs and upgrade to Mountain Lion, or copy again the installer from your iMac because it could be damaged. Another possibility is to create a bootable USB disk > http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/07/how-to-create-a-bootable-backup-mountain-li on-install-disk/

Nov 14, 2012 10:44 PM in response to rleo2joseph

You are allowed to install the OS on any Mac you own and control. The purchase is tied forever to your Apple ID and the machine ID.

If your installer is in the Applications folder, you should be able to copy that and use it to install on another Mac after putting it in the other Mac's Applications folder and then double clicking it. If it is not, follow mende's suggestions.

Nov 14, 2012 10:51 PM in response to mende1

Hi Mende,

Even I prefer to download in all Mac. But it will take **** lot of time , as my internet speed is very slow.

I guess it is better to create a Bootable disk and use it in rest of the PC.

Since I have very less number of PCs, it is ok for me. What if , in the case of an enterprise, they have to download in their all Macs ? Oh my god. I can' imagine that.

Nov 15, 2012 2:38 AM in response to rleo2joseph

I downloaded the Mountain Lion installer app on my

2011 Mac Mini Server and then created a bootable

installer USB stick from the .dmg contained in the

package (good idea to do anyway even if you only

have on computer). I then used that to install

Mountain Lion on the afore mentioned Mini Server,

my 2010 Mac Mini (used as HTPC), and my 2011

Macbook Pro without any issues.

Of course, all three Macs are somehow tied to

the same Apple ID.

Nov 15, 2012 8:31 PM in response to Radiation Mac

Hi Radiation Mac,

Your answer helped me a lot. I went through some links regarding the Volume Purchase License for Mountaion Lion. I could'nt get it clearly. If you don't mind, can you explain a bit more. I can understand that for an enterprise it is not mandatory to buy Volume purchase license , but it would make things little easy

So as an enterprise , if I have purchased Mountaion Lion OS of cost $19.99. Should I want to pay extra for this Volume purchase license.

Nov 15, 2012 9:09 PM in response to rleo2joseph

If you are referring to Enterprise or other commercial use, you should contact Apple as we are just users like you volunteering our time to help and really are in no position to answer legal questions. Here are some relevant excerpts from the Mountain Lion licensing agreement:

B. Mac App Store License. If you obtained a license for the Apple Software from the Mac App Store, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License and as permitted by the Mac App Store Usage Rules set forth in the App Store Terms and Conditions (http://www.apple.com/legal/ itunes/ww/) (“Usage Rules”), you are granted a limited, non-transferable, non-exclusive license:

ℹ to download, install, use and run for personal, non-commercial use, one (1) copy of the Apple Software directly on each Apple-branded computer running OS X Lion or OS X Snow Leopard (“Mac Computer”) that you own or control;

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, to download, install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software for use either: (a) by a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) that you own or control, or (b) by multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Apple Software on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use the Apple Software on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library;

and:

C. Volume or Maintenance License. If you obtained the Apple Software under a volume or maintenance license program with Apple, the terms of your volume or maintenance license will determine the number of copies of the Apple Software you are permitted to download, install, use and run on Apple-branded computers you own or control. Except as agreed to in writing by Apple, all other terms and conditions of this License shall apply to your use of the Apple Software obtained under a volume or maintenance license.

I understand this to mean that the license you purchased is not for enterprise or commercial use unless it is only used by one person or one computer by several people. It is for your personal use for any Mac you own and control. Here is the link so you can download and read it:

http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/

Is it mandatory to download Mountain Lion in all of Mac PCs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.