Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I permanently mute the start-up sound?

As stated in the title: How do I permanently mute the start-up sound?

Before answering, please note:

+ I do Not want to use sleep (my MBA starts fast enough, and I don't consider it neither environmentally friendly nor economical to always use sleep. I am not going to be forced to use sleep by an annoying start-up chime either)

+ I know that the start-up sound has the use of indicating errors, but I do not think that this is prioritized over a silent start-up (The sound is very embarrassing in class etc). (Besides, if I happen to mute the sound before turning shutting down, I won't hear the chime either, so I will have to plan when my mac is going to crash either way.)

+ I furthermore do not want to mute the sound every time I shutdown, as I will forget to do this.

I have tried the following solutions:

+ Startninja - Works often, but has turned off at occasions without me knowing it. I therefore do not trust this program.

+ Startup.prefpane - Does not work at all.

+ Psst - Does not work.

+ Plugging in a headphone chord - does not work.

A common problem is that a program supposed to mute the start-up sound only mutes it when the headphones are not plugged in, even though the start-up chime always come from the internal speakers.

I am using:

+ Macbook Air 13 inch (new, mid 2012)

+ OS X 10.8.2

I am seriously considering switching back to Windows right now, because while I really like Mac, fearing that the sound will go off inhibits my usage of my computer and makes me feel a bit fooled that I spent $1500 (actually a bit more because I wanted a faster processor) on a computer that doesn't mute properly (I understand that this might not be a big deal for everyone but it is for me).

MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 12:42 AM

24 replies

Nov 15, 2012 9:50 PM in response to sig

Look to the right side ------------------>

at the column "More Like This."

I checked the threads, and the only new suggestion was the program Tinkertool System. According to their homepage (http://www.bresink.com/osx/300321023/Docs-en/pgs/Startup.html) this feature is not available for OSX 10.8. Thank you for the tip, but it unfortunately did not help.

Nov 16, 2012 1:56 AM in response to Vetebullen

As an aside... Note that if you shut off your computer every day instead of letting it sleep; it will not be able to run the nightly maintainance scripts that keep the system runniing smoothly. You will need to find a way to remember to and to run the scripts during the times you have the computer powered up. There are some small 'utility' programs that can help with that.

Also a couple of those utility programs give you access to a hidden setting that will mute the chime.

You say "I don't consider it neither environmentally friendly nor economical to always use sleep"

But you should consider that sleep is the way the systems are 'made' to work. Also that they use so little power when sleeping that the startup tasks of spinning up and accesssing the disc, etc. and booting the operating system generally will use more power (or at least that is the common thinking, I don't have data I can cite to prove it).

" I will have to plan when my mac is going to crash either way"

As a former windows user I can see how you might think that but it is not a problem with an Apple machine.

I ran my last computer for 3 year only rebooting when installing software and no crashes except when I dropped it on a brick sidewalk (and it ran for a year after too).

This computer is 4 years old and I run it the same way. It has only crashed once when I installed the Mac Defender program without doing my homework first.

Nov 16, 2012 3:55 AM in response to Vetebullen

Try this.....

Open System Preferences/Sound

Click the Output tab

If you have external speakers plugged in you should see Headphones as an output device. Select it and slide the Output Volume all the way to the left (Mute).

Unplug the external speakers. You should now see Internal Speakers as an output device. Select it and slide the Output Volume all the way to the left (Mute).

All sound devices should be muted. Restart your system to test.

Nov 16, 2012 4:04 PM in response to keg55

Open System Preferences/Sound

Click the Output tab

If you have external speakers plugged in you should see Headphones as an output device. Select it and slide the Output Volume all the way to the left (Mute).

Unplug the external speakers. You should now see Internal Speakers as an output device. Select it and slide the Output Volume all the way to the left (Mute).

All sound devices should be muted. Restart your system to test.

I appreciate that you took the time to try to answer my question, however, I do not want to have to turn off the sound every time I turn off my computer (I stated this in the question also).

Nov 16, 2012 4:16 PM in response to Bob Allison

As an aside... ...

That was interesting to read. However, I still want to be able to boot silently.

But you should consider that sleep is the way the systems are 'made' to work. Also that they use so little power when sleeping that the startup tasks of spinning up and accesssing the disc, etc. and booting the operating system generally will use more power (or at least that is the common thinking, I don't have data I can cite to prove it).

Since I have an Air, there is not a lot of spinning going on in my computer. I would guess (although this is also a guess with lack of sources) that that's the main consumer of energy for startups. However, as interesting as this topic might be, it should be further discussed in another thread (Perhaps called "The joy of sleeping"?). This thread is for silent startups.

Nov 16, 2012 4:53 PM in response to Vetebullen

I have been using an app from Arcana which You can get from this web site

http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~arcana/index.en.html , it has worked on my 2008 Intel imac with Leopard through Mountain Lion. I have had to update it at least once. You can adjust the chime volume or mute it all together. I have mine very low in case I were to need the indicator chime Hope this helps

Nov 16, 2012 7:06 PM in response to Vetebullen

But it is part of this thread - You made sleeping you made the prima facia reason for the thread when you went off on "I am not going to be forced to use sleep by an annoying start-up chime either" as the reason why you wanted a silent bell. (and I was only trying to help - not looking for a remark)

And I stand corrected - I still schedule my maintainance to run with a utility or terminal commands and

never realized they now ran on startup. Thaks Sig.

That said, I won't be responding here anymore.

You have already been given the solution in the above by a few people.

How do I permanently mute the start-up sound?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.