Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup multiple iPads for education

Hi,

Our school has 15 iPads. We want all of them to be identical. But at the same time we'd prefere to be able to use Find My iPhone (iPad) in case of a missing iPad. We don't have special equipment for syncing all iPads at once, and cannot afford to buy it. And the Volume Purchase Program is not yet available in Norway, wich means I cannot use Apple Configurator to distribute apps.

Last time I made a new setup I reverted all from the same backup. I got identical iPads, but I couldn't use Find My iPhone, probably because they all had the same Apple-ID. Now I've made some changes and updated iOS, and I want to roll out the new setup to all 15 iPads.

What would be the best way:

• Use Apple Configurator to setup iPads without apps. Then download the apps manually to every iPad?
  • Revert from backup, and then manually change the Apple-ID on every iPad in order to ble able to use Find My iPad? (Is it correct that every iPad needs a individual Apple-ID?)
  • Any other sugestions??

Eldar

iPad 2

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 4:05 AM

Probably the easiest way is to setup one iPad with apps back it up with iTunes

And restore to the others

Since you don't have a mdm solution like osx servers profile manager

Apple Configurator use it to install as many settings as you can via profiles

It will speed up the configuration less time spent tapping away on each device

Here is a free hosted mdm

http://www.meraki.com/products/systems-manager/

Find my iPhone use can use the same iTunes account, I think the limit is 200 devices

If you restore from backup passwords are not restored you'd have to re enter them

Every iPad needs an indervidual ID not an indervidual iTunes account for find my iPhone

Eg iPad-1 iPad-2 etc

Check iCloud settings or you could have all devices reading each others calendar

Consider enabling restrictions here you can stop users adding email accounts

Changing find my iPhone etc

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2012 4:05 AM in response to Eldar Skjørten

Probably the easiest way is to setup one iPad with apps back it up with iTunes

And restore to the others

Since you don't have a mdm solution like osx servers profile manager

Apple Configurator use it to install as many settings as you can via profiles

It will speed up the configuration less time spent tapping away on each device

Here is a free hosted mdm

http://www.meraki.com/products/systems-manager/

Find my iPhone use can use the same iTunes account, I think the limit is 200 devices

If you restore from backup passwords are not restored you'd have to re enter them

Every iPad needs an indervidual ID not an indervidual iTunes account for find my iPhone

Eg iPad-1 iPad-2 etc

Check iCloud settings or you could have all devices reading each others calendar

Consider enabling restrictions here you can stop users adding email accounts

Changing find my iPhone etc

Nov 15, 2012 7:36 AM in response to iToaster

Thanks!!

I'm going for the restore-option. It seems to be faster right now (only 15 iPads), taking in consideration that the other options seems to require more "investigation" and are probably made for more complex setups than mine. Then I'll look into Configurator when VPP becomes available in Norway.

BUT your info on Find my iPhone was great news! Easy to just change the name after restoring. (For some reason I was sure I needed separate Apple-IDs...)

Eldar 🙂

Nov 15, 2012 10:42 PM in response to Eldar Skjørten

That's exactly the reason why you should be experimenting with deployment methods, because you have a small deployment

It's better to stuff up with 15 Rather than 150

it's a good opportunity to learn about profiles before you're faced with a large deployment

I would recommend using apple Configurator even for your small amount of iPads

You don't need to distribute apps with it

Using apple Configurator profiles to configure the devices speeds up deployment and reduces typo's

Dono about you but the novelty wears off pretty quick typing in the cryptic wireless password for the 3rd time

Apple Configurator can automatically number devices to

Once you've restored your iPads find my iPhone will give an error message

Just enter your iTunes account password again

Setup multiple iPads for education

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.