Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

some applications wont work with mountain lion

Hi please help me figure out why some of my applications are not working anymore after i upgraded my OS to mountain lion. I had a snow leaopard before i did the upgrade so it should no problem after.

My first problem is that, i want to use Calibre and VLC applications. I installed both of them with the latest version. Once installed, if i click it, it will just keep on bouncing then eventually, it will appear that its not responding. What could be the reason for this? My processor is already intel and not PPC but still these two applications doesnt work 😟.

Please help..

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:05 AM

I suspect you are talking about applications with a Rosetta base. Rosetta does not work with Lion or Mountain Lion. There are one or two others. Anything that is PPC for example. Nothing you can do I'm afraid.

10 replies

Nov 15, 2012 7:52 AM in response to pepper1111

In addition to Seventy One's advice you can determine what apps are PPC based. Open System Information (Applications - Utilities - System Information) click Software (or App) on the left side and it will build a list of the apps installed on your system. Look in the kindcolumn, the apps that say PPC will not run and need to be updated or replaced with newer versions if available.

Nov 15, 2012 8:16 AM in response to pepper1111

My first problem is that, i want to use Calibre and VLC applications.

The current versions of those applications are compatible with ML.

Back up all data if you haven’t already done so.

Boot in safe mode.* This will cause certain caches maintained by the system to be rebuilt. The instructions provided by Apple are as follows:

1. Shut down your computer, wait 30 seconds, and then hold down the shift key while pressing the power button.
  2. When you see the gray Apple logo, release the shift key.

Safe mode is much slower to boot than normal.

When the login screen appears, reboot as usual (not in safe mode) and test. There's no need to log in while in safe mode.

*Note: If FileVault is enabled under OS X 10.7 or later, or if a firmware password is set, or if the boot volume is a software RAID, you can’t boot in safe mode. In that case, proceed as below.

You must be logged in as an administrator to carry out these instructions.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Triple-click the line below to select it, then drag or copy into the Terminal window — do not type — and press return:

sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up.

Reboot and test.

Nov 15, 2012 8:34 AM in response to pepper1111

Going forward from Lion (10.7.x) Apple has dropped Rosetta, that means if you have any older apps that are PPC based they simply will not work and need to be updated and/or replaced.

Downgrading to an older version of OS X while possible on your current machine is possible but isn't advisable. At some point upgrading the apps needs to be done.... in other words (and I hate to say it) you have to stay current or you will be left behind.

To update your VLC and Calibre apps navigate to www.macupdate.com and see if updates are available there. Then simply download and install.

Nov 15, 2012 8:46 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I dont have pending updates and all of my Apps are its latest versions already. You have your point that i should stay current which is very important. Your advice are right too on how to check the status of my Apps.

So i guess my only best option is to try Linc's and see if it will resolve the cause of malfunctioning of these applications inspite of the correct status updates.

I will be back if it wont work still. thank you so much for the very good informations. 🙂

Nov 16, 2012 1:11 PM in response to pepper1111

The current version of VLC will certain work without Rosetta. Since I am using Lion, perhaps there is a problem with VLC and Mt. Lion. As to your PowerPC applications that need Rosetta, here is a post that I assembled for a similar question:

Unfortunately you got caught up in the minor miracle of Rosetta. Originally licensed by Apple when it migrated from the PowerPC CPU platform that it had used from the mid-1990's until the Intel CPU platform in 2006, Rosetta allowed Mac users to continue to use their library of PPC software transparently in emulation.

However, Apple's license to continue to use this technology expired with new releases of OS X commencing with Lion (and now Mountain Lion). While educational efforts have been made over the last 6 years, the fact is that Rosetta was SO successful that many users were caught unaware UNTIL they upgraded to Lion or Mountain Lion.

Workarounds:

1. If your Mac will support it, restore OS X Snow Leopard;

2. If your Mac will support it, partition your hard drive or add an external hard drive and install Snow Leopard into it and use the "dual-boot" method to choose between your PowerPC software or Lion/Mt. Lion;

3. Upgrade your software to Intel compatible versions, or find alternative software that will open your data files;

3. Install Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels:

User uploaded file

[click on image to enlarge]

Full Snow Leopard installation instructions here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365439

NOTE: STEP ONE of the instructions must currently be completed on a Snow Leopard or Lion Mac and the resulting modified Snow Leopard.cdr install file can then be moved over to your Mountain Lion Mac for completion of the remaining steps.

NOTE 2: Computer games with complex, 3D or fast motion graphics make not work well or at all in virtualization.

Nov 21, 2012 1:09 AM in response to MlchaelLAX

Hi MichaelLax,

Thank you so much for a very clear answer. That is really the problem, upgrading OS to ML was bad when i just did the "not clean upgrade". Going back to SL would be very bad and make more updates.

I made the best decision and make a clean reformat of my OS. I backed up all files and did this procedure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn9b-QLs_0k&playnext=1&list=PLDC09E15CBDFE9C46&fe ature=results_video

It took me almost 2 hours to reformat(excluding saving of files). Its really worth it! Now, i am enjoying getting more Applications that i need on my iMac. Its all worth it after 🙂

Thank you so much here guys!

some applications wont work with mountain lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.