Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod classic won't start after formatting

I've formatted my iPod classic 80Gb as normal hard drive or pendrive. I guess I deleted iPod's software. Right now iPod doesn't reboot, all I get is a blinking screen with apple logo. What is more winodows nor itunes don't detect my iPod as it usually does. Is there any software with which I can return my iPod to the previous state?

iPod classic

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:46 AM

Try forcing the iPod into Disk Mode using the instructions below and then connecting it to your PC. It may appear as a drive in Windows again and/or in iTunes.

Putting iPod devices with a Click Wheel into Disk Mode

1. If necessary, verify that your iPod has a Click Wheel.
  2. Before placing the iPod into Disk Mode, verify that it is charged.
  3. Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  4. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
  5. When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
    User uploaded file
  6. Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will should say "Do not disconnect".

If you are having difficulty putting your iPod into Disk Mode, set it on a flat surface. Make sure that the finger pressing the Select button is not touching the Click Wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Play/Pause button toward the outside of the Click Wheel and not near the center. If you are still unable to put your iPod into Disk Mode, use one finger from one hand to press the Select button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Play/Pause button.

Disk Mode should help the iPod stay mounted as a drive on your system long enough for you to perform a restore of the device in iTunes or reformat it again if necessary.

B-rock

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2012 9:46 AM in response to bawool

Try forcing the iPod into Disk Mode using the instructions below and then connecting it to your PC. It may appear as a drive in Windows again and/or in iTunes.

Putting iPod devices with a Click Wheel into Disk Mode

1. If necessary, verify that your iPod has a Click Wheel.
  2. Before placing the iPod into Disk Mode, verify that it is charged.
  3. Toggle the Hold switch on and off (set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
  4. Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least six seconds, until the Apple logo appears.
  5. When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.
    User uploaded file
  6. Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will should say "Do not disconnect".

If you are having difficulty putting your iPod into Disk Mode, set it on a flat surface. Make sure that the finger pressing the Select button is not touching the Click Wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Play/Pause button toward the outside of the Click Wheel and not near the center. If you are still unable to put your iPod into Disk Mode, use one finger from one hand to press the Select button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Play/Pause button.

Disk Mode should help the iPod stay mounted as a drive on your system long enough for you to perform a restore of the device in iTunes or reformat it again if necessary.

B-rock

iPod classic won't start after formatting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.