Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 5 won't rotate to upside down

I just purchased a new iPhone 5. (My first iPhone). I have used an iPad for a long time. I have unlimited data on the iPhone and want to use it in my vehicle to play Sirus/XM. However, with the headphone jack on the bottom I have to rotate the phone upside down. None of the apps will rotate 180 degrees. So if I am using the navigation app and listening to XM, the navigation is displayed incorrectly. Any one know how to fix this?

Jeff

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:55 AM

6 replies

Sep 2, 2015 6:20 PM in response to jeff412

Hi Jeff,

This is the exact same problem I have. When I am driving and using GPS while it is charging, the charger is on the bottom and so is the headphone jack when listening to music, the phone doesn't rotate upside down. That is very irritating. I have been dealing with this for years and finally decided to search for a solution. Did you ever figure out a fix to this? If so, can you please post it?

Somehow every now and then my phone errors and the screen does get flipped upside down. I have no idea how it happens and can never replicate it. It only happens every once in a great while when I pull it out of my pocket. I wish I knew how to repeat this, it would be handy.

Thanks

Sep 2, 2015 6:30 PM in response to zerners

zerners wrote:

Somehow every now and then my phone errors and the screen does get flipped upside down. I have no idea how it happens and can never replicate it. It only happens every once in a great while when I pull it out of my pocket. I wish I knew how to repeat this, it would be handy.

It depends on the app. Some will allow that. Most don't.

Sep 2, 2015 6:56 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair:

It depends on the app. Some will allow that. Most don't.

No, I mean the home screen was upside down and that never rotates. Actually, I have not seen a single app rotate upside down, at least not on the iPhone 5. I think the iPhone 6 some apps might rotate. I wish I knew how to get the screen to go upside down. It is very annoying that it doesn't. Clearly it is capable of doing it since it does this in error. Apple just needs to correct it's code to allow for it. Either that or it would be nice if Apple would have put a charger and audio jack at both top and bottom of the phone. I know the reason why Apple put it on he bottom of the phone, it was because of the iHome sound and charging system, but nobody uses those anymore, since most devices are Airplay or Bluetooth capable.

Sep 2, 2015 6:57 PM in response to zerners

Ah, the Home screen. No, that's not supposed to rotate. I can't think of any normal circumstances under which you could get it to do that.

Are you using a headset while using the phone in the car? Personally, I like both ports on the bottom. It allows me to plug in both the aux cable and the car charger while my phone is in a dash mount. Not everyone uses BT. 🙂

Submit your feedback to Apple requesting such a feature here:

http://www.apple.com/feedback

Sep 2, 2015 7:03 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

No, I put the phone in a cup holder. I want to use the Navigator system on it. But it is a pain in the butt when it is charging because the charger is on the bottom and I like it portrait instead of landscape when viewing it. So I somehow have to balance it on the charging cable, which is difficult and I also know that it isn't good for the cable or the charging port. Wish the phone would rotate upside down because of this.

I also have an awesome stereo system in my car and don't like to have on headsets, so I wouldn't use that.

iPhone 5 won't rotate to upside down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.