Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 15" Hi Res Anti Glare (Gets HOT)

I just received thiscouple days ago from when this was posted.

My Macbook pro has 8GB Ram, GT 650m w/1GB DDR5, i7 3720QM, 5400/750GB HDD, Hi Res Anti Glare Screen 1680 x 1050 screen.

It gets hot in the usual area by the screen. I read posts from back in October about someone said to send it back right away but there are so many variable from people regarding heat I questioned whether these people knew this is a laptop and it's get hot. The question is, are my variable normal for it to get this hot?

I posted the specs, it's brand new.

HWInfo64 reports when running windows on bootcamp

Skyrim/BF3 the CPU gets at 105 sometimes and the GPU gets at about 91C. With a laptop cooler it is 1C less on the GPU (90C) and the CPU temps remain around 104 during gameplay.

Sometimes it gets hot just surfing the net or watching 1080 video?

I read others returning there and lots of people ahve found solutions. Due to the variables, what do you guys think I should do about the temps? the screen bottom does get hot in that area.

Room temps 68-70(20C)

What do you guys think? I am coming from the world of hardcore gaming and am a active Windows user. I own a mac before so I know somewhat enough to work with the OS but nowere near the scale as I do with Windows 7.

I need it for school so... yeah. What do you guys think?

Also, curious questions on the side:

Firefox or safari?

Why didn't Apple go with a standard 1080 screen? Why is it a 1050 lol

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:42 AM

4 replies

Nov 15, 2012 12:17 PM in response to AnimalMother

If your gaming with the machine of course it's going to get hot, it's a laptop not a desktop tower with powerful coolings.

It gets hot in the usual area by the screen.

Yep, the two processors are located there with exhaust going out the back.

Skyrim/BF3 the CPU gets at 105 sometimes and the GPU gets at about 91C. With a laptop cooler it is 1C less on the GPU (90C) and the CPU temps remain around 104 during gameplay.

So much for laptop coolers. 😁

Sometimes it gets hot just surfing the net or watching 1080 video?

Well that's likely the HD 4000 trying to do all the work, head to Energy Savings and see if you can select "High Performance" so it uses the GPU all the time instead, will be cooler at the sacrifice of slightly less battery life.

I don't think BootCamps has that option though. 😟

I read others returning there and lots of people ahve found solutions. Due to the variables, what do you guys think I should do about the temps? the screen bottom does get hot in that area.

It's really hard to judge when your 3D gaming as that taxes the hardware.

If booting a cold box, using OS X and only surfing the web reaches over 120º F in that enviroment, then I would be suspicious.

Run a #3 HardWare Test here, may have a dead fan or sensor.

Step by Step to fix your Mac

You should buy AppleCare, as your use of the machine is more prone to it having issues, also it's good ot have the fans vents cleaned of dust every year or it kills the machine sooner.

Mac buying and maintenance advice

Firefox or safari?

Computer newbies use Safari. 😁

Nov 15, 2012 12:24 PM in response to ds store

Well that's likely the HD 4000 trying to do all the work, head to Energy Savings and see if you can select "High Performance" so it uses the GPU all the time instead, will be cooler at the sacrifice of slightly less battery life.

I don't think BootCamps has that option though. 😟

You have that backwards. The dGPU (650M) uses much more power than the HD 4000.

But you are correct in that only the 650M is used with Boot Camp.

Nov 15, 2012 3:40 PM in response to ds store

Prone to issues? I have to say that in this day in age it's insulting especially after spenidng 2000 on a Macbook that these issues better not be so severe as to warrant the cost of apple care. Even my cheap P150em/NP9150 didn't ahve any issues. In fact, I have not had much issues with electronics in sometime. My father was a TV repair man, he told me simply to "keep dust away" knock on wood but to this day electronics devices I own rarely if ever have any issues. Even the cheap O stuff like P150em craptastic beast.

I am aware it will get hot during game, it's just the other threads have different varibles. Thanks for the links, I'll look into that. Will run hardware test now, so far it doesn't seem to much of an issue. I never thought I'd see a Nvidia card hit 91C without OCing lol.

Thanks for all your help guys will report back.

"If booting a cold box, using OS X and only surfing the web reaches over 120º F in that enviroment, then I would be suspicious."

To be honest, I am new to MAC OS compltely lol. Well... it's been a long time lol.

What's cold box? I should run it to se my temps?

What do you guys use to check temps on your macs?

Macbook Pro 15" Hi Res Anti Glare (Gets HOT)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.