Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.0.6 Feedback - The Wheel In the Sky Keeps On Turnin'

I cut a feature movie in FCP X 10.0.5 on a Mac Pro a couple months ago. I did the 10.0.6 update recently and decided to go in and do another round of editing sound and try to tighten up here and there. I noticed, right away, that I get a spinning color wheel a lot now in 10.0.6. Not a spinning color wheel of death, but it lasts about 5-10 seconds. Same system that was very responsive before the update.

I also noticed that some of my clips sound like they are playing out of an aluminum can. Some of them sound fine, but some sound like they are robotic. I have renders of the version before the 10.0.6 update to make sure I'm not imagining anything, and I'm not imagining. The sound is very different (screwed) in some areas.

I'm writing my next feature right now and if I do the editing, I'm going to do it in Adobe Premiere. I think any time a company that gets billions in revenue from phones and tablets sells a little software program, they aren't motivated enough to make sure it works well. I think Apple was at its best when it was the underdog and had to show everyone that it "just works". I don't wear armbands. I cheer for excellance. I can't be objective and cheer for Apple in regards to FCP X.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 1:41 PM

13 replies

Nov 15, 2012 2:11 PM in response to Scot Walker

Scot Walker wrote:

I did the 10.0.6 update recently and decided to go in and do another round of editing sound and try to tighten up here and there. I noticed, right away, that I get a spinning color wheel a lot now in 10.0.6. Not a spinning color wheel of death, but it lasts about 5-10 seconds. Same system that was very responsive before the update.

I also noticed that some of my clips sound like they are playing out of an aluminum can.

Yup. This update changed many things and IMO, they must have tried to make too big a splash too soon by giving it to us before it was ready. Even though people have generally cheered the additional features, I found my initial experiences with it to be unpleasant and a step backwards from 10.0.5. Luckily I've not updated my old projects and I retained a copy of 10.0.5. (And FCP 7 is still solid for me.)

Russ

Nov 15, 2012 3:24 PM in response to Scot Walker

Although I'm not doing features, I have to say that for me and the vast majority of users this upgrade has been fantastic. I can't think of any reason why you are having these particular problems - did you click on updtae projects when you first opened .06? - while so many others are not but maybe it's possible that there is something in your particular workflow that is screwing things up. When someone is having problems while the majority of others are not, maybe one should look at their way of doing things first before blaming the program.

Not trying to defend Apple - and I imagine I'll get some heat for posting this - but it is a poor carpenter who blames his tools. I hope you have better luck with Premiere. I hear it's flawless.

Nov 15, 2012 3:44 PM in response to pixnvid

Hmmm, I updated through Apple's own App Store on an Apple computer with Apple's OS. Maybe it's me! lol

I loaded a finished project that is on a Mac Pro with 24 Megs ram and worked flawlessly before 10.0.6, but now it's less responsive and the audio sounds weird. Yeah, it's me.

Tom, how do you do a clean install of mountain lion through the App Store? Thanks.

Nov 15, 2012 6:10 PM in response to Scot Walker

Make sure you are connected to the Internet. Reboot holding the Option key. You'll get the option to boot from the Recovery HD. The Disk Utility will appear. You can use that to erase the drive. There will then be an option to reinstall the OS. After that you can migrate user content from backup or Time Machine. The whole thing is a very lengthy process.

Nov 15, 2012 7:08 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Ugh. Thanks, Tom.

I just loaded up the same scene into Quicktime, one rendered with 10.0.5 and one with 10.0.6 and I'm not imagining anything. The sound is weird out of 10.0.6. Like I said, it sounds like it's robotic, a digital sound effect.

Does Time Machine allow me to go back to 10.0.5? Can I just select the FCP X icon and run Time Machine and then go back in time? Or is it lots of support files in the Library folders, etc., so that won't work?

Thanks again, Tom.

Nov 16, 2012 7:20 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I'm too scared to attempt that.

I've been playing with this audio issue and what seems to have happened is a few clips in the timeline got corrupted in the way FCP X handles them, but only in the timeline. If I have FCP X find the clip in the event and then insert it right after the corrupted clip, it sounds fine. Very weird. And if I turn off all FX and audio settings of the corrupted one and set it back to the default NONE on surround, FLAT, etc., it still has that weird robotic sound.

So I can at least go through and identify which ones are sounding robotic and replace them and fix the problem. It will take a couple hours, but there is a fix.

Very weird problem. I'll update if I find anything that is repeatable, but it's definitely after the 10.0.6 update. It's not all the clips. Most of them are fine.

Thanks for the help.

Nov 16, 2012 8:19 AM in response to Scot Walker

Find a copy of FCP X 10.0.5. Lesson learned, never update in the middle of projects.

I think reinstalling the whole OS is overkill and may or may not solve anything. That's pretty drastic.

Get the free app "Final Cut Remover" from Digital Rebellion (dot com), use it to remove FCP X from your system totally. It will not touch Events or Projets.

Reboot the system, launch the App Store, go to the Purchased tab, click "Install" button to the right of Final Cut Pro X.

Run Disk Warrior to repair the directories on all connected drives.

Nov 16, 2012 8:54 AM in response to BenB

Thanks for the Final Cut Remover tip.

I didn't update in the middle of a project. It's completed, but I just went back in to do another run-through and tweak here and there and that's when I noticed that issues. I'll need to be able to export it again if it gets distribution because I'll have to do the Roles feature to separate the elements for the distributor, etc.

I think I'll remove it and then just reinstall 10.0.6 and see if that makes a difference.

I appreciate the help.

Nov 16, 2012 10:57 AM in response to Scot Walker

Hi Scott, I experienced lots of silly stuff going wrong after updating. It's my opinion that the updating process is flawed in some way. I went from a fully functioning machine in 10.0.5 to one that drove me crazy. I downloaded a copy of Mountain Lion and did a clean install and FCPXs stability has improved heaps. I was told that professionals do that anyway but that's not the way Apple advertise the process with the App Store controlling everything. It's only fair to presume that a company with Apple's reputation would not release software that not's fully compatible with previous versions.

Nov 17, 2012 9:35 AM in response to dpcam1

Thanks, dpcam1. I'm using Mountain Lion too.

The robotic audio problem was very limited, fortunately. I was able to replace those clips pretty quickly. Now I'm having the problem where FCP X can't export a Blu-ray disc image because it says the drive is full even though there is over 800 gigs. I shared using this method with 10.0.5 a dozen times with no problems at all.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Nov 17, 2012 12:24 PM in response to Scot Walker

For me, now, the basic rules with anything to do with the apple updating process are these: don't even contemplate updating final cut pro x in the middle of a project....absolutely anything could happen. If it is a major operating system upgrade, do a clean install because, once again, absolutely anything could happen as well.

10.0.6 Feedback - The Wheel In the Sky Keeps On Turnin'

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.