Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6490m driver update windows 7 64 bit

Hi together,

I own a early 2011 MacbookPro with an AMD Radeon HD 6490M graphic card and an Intel 3000 HD in addition.

I installed Windows Ultimate 64 bit via bootcamp.

Now I'm facing the error, that the driver I installed by Apple Support Folder (downloaded before in MacOS by bootcamp assistant) ist very old (begin 2011) and I'm not able to install the driver. It says that there is no correct graphic hardware at my system. The AMD Homepage says that 6400M series is supported but I can't get it to work.

Afterwards I installed the latest beta driver (12-8_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc). It installed with no problems but afterwards hardware manager reports that I'm having a AMD 7700M graphic card (I don't remember the name cause I uninstalled it because of extreme bad performance - more laggy then before).

Now I read several threads in here and found a driver version of 11/2011. That one install a graphic card which is called 6400M which usually would be right cause it's the 6400 series. But this driver had same bad performance (40-60fps in counterstrike 1.6) like the other one.

Does anybody now where I can get the latest driver including catalyst center for my AMD Radeon HD 6490M?

It would be really nice if anybody could help me.

I'm sorry for my bad english. If there are any questions please ask.

Regards and thank you!

MacBook Pro, Windows 7, Ultimate 64bit, AMD Radeon HD 6490M

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 1:33 PM

7 replies

Dec 16, 2012 7:42 AM in response to iGotTehLulz

Graphic switching on Macs only works within OS X. When in Windows, the discreet GPU runs all the time. This is the way it has been since Apple introduced systems with multiple GPUs. And being that I actually own a machine similar to the OP's that runs both Windows and OS X, and you own an HP, it goes without saying that I know more about this than you do.

To the OP, the correct drivers can be downloaded by following the link at the bottom of this page:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_catalyst_12_10_whql_download.html

Before installing, make sure you have the Microsoft .NET framework 4.0 and all its security updates installed on your machine.

Uninstall the drivers you have now via control panel/programs and features, reboot, and run this package from the link above. When it finishes, reboot, and it will display "AMD Radeon HD 6400M Series" in device manager. This is the correct naming scheme when you install drivers that are not directly provided by Apple. I have the same set installed on mine, and it says "AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series."

6490m driver update windows 7 64 bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.