Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Questions Regarding iBook G4

I recently purchased a iBook G4 and only have a short period of time to decide whether to keep it or not. I see they do have a lot of issues it seems, and I am wondering if any one has any knowledgable information they might want to share with me to help make my decision. Positive or Negative comments welcome!!

However, My main concern is that this iBook won't work with itunes.... Are all iBooks like that? And if not, then does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this issue? I am unfamiliar with Apple products other then the iPhone, and I do not have very much computer knowledge so any tips are welcome! Thanks for your time!

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 3:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 3:58 PM

Hello,

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Apple iBook G4

I wont say they don't have their problems. The most common relates to logic board failures. One of the things you have to establish is the fact these are 8 or more years old. Your not going to get the same performance from an 8 year old iBook as you would with a modern MacBook Pro.

If your running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Which your tags says) Then you should be using iTunes version 10.6.3

You can do most thing with this version of iTunes, including downloads from the iTunes store, rent or buy films or buy music. If your iPhone has iOS 6 update, then you may find that with the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 it wont sync with this version of iTunes. As that does required iTunes version 10.7 which is currently only available for Mac OS X 10.6.8 and above. You can't install Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 or even 10.8 All of these versions of Mac OS X require an Intel based Mac

Your currently on the latest version available for an iBook G4 above 800Mhz. (This is Mac OS X 10.5)

You will find some thing are not very good. Like some Flash web sites such as YouTube.

This is due to the flash player having not been updated for Mac OS X 10.5.8(out of date)

There are alternatives to YouTube on the web, Like YouView application which will run YouTube videos from your desktop. You can also install a web browser called Camino which handles the web better than Safari for Mac OS X 10.5.8

Other than web site restrains like YouTube or FaceBook Flash Games, Your iBook should be fine to do almost anything you require. It wont run any newer Mac Applications, you will need to be mindful when buying or downloading sofware to which it will or will not install.

I'm currently using a PowerBook G4, which runs some useful old application with ease.

I've no retrains on it use and I'm very happy to use it as my daily computer.

All comes down to what you want to use the iBook for.

Hope this helps

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 15, 2012 3:58 PM in response to asholayluvsu

Hello,

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Apple iBook G4

I wont say they don't have their problems. The most common relates to logic board failures. One of the things you have to establish is the fact these are 8 or more years old. Your not going to get the same performance from an 8 year old iBook as you would with a modern MacBook Pro.

If your running Mac OS X 10.5.8 (Which your tags says) Then you should be using iTunes version 10.6.3

You can do most thing with this version of iTunes, including downloads from the iTunes store, rent or buy films or buy music. If your iPhone has iOS 6 update, then you may find that with the iPhone 4S and iPhone 5 it wont sync with this version of iTunes. As that does required iTunes version 10.7 which is currently only available for Mac OS X 10.6.8 and above. You can't install Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7 or even 10.8 All of these versions of Mac OS X require an Intel based Mac

Your currently on the latest version available for an iBook G4 above 800Mhz. (This is Mac OS X 10.5)

You will find some thing are not very good. Like some Flash web sites such as YouTube.

This is due to the flash player having not been updated for Mac OS X 10.5.8(out of date)

There are alternatives to YouTube on the web, Like YouView application which will run YouTube videos from your desktop. You can also install a web browser called Camino which handles the web better than Safari for Mac OS X 10.5.8

Other than web site restrains like YouTube or FaceBook Flash Games, Your iBook should be fine to do almost anything you require. It wont run any newer Mac Applications, you will need to be mindful when buying or downloading sofware to which it will or will not install.

I'm currently using a PowerBook G4, which runs some useful old application with ease.

I've no retrains on it use and I'm very happy to use it as my daily computer.

All comes down to what you want to use the iBook for.

Hope this helps

Two Questions Regarding iBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.