Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can not login to iMessage in Mac via apple ID.

I am trying to setup messages in my imac. During the setup, it asked me for my apple ID and password. I am sure I have put in the right Apple ID and Password (checked by log out and login in itunes). after entering the password, it asked me again and again for my password. What is the problem?

I am running mountain Lion OS X 10.8.2

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 6:08 PM

4 replies

Nov 16, 2012 1:58 PM in response to alikarvar

Hi,

We are seeing more of this in Mountain Lion OS X 10.8.2

Before this several fixes were tried and worked for smaller and smaller groups as time went on.

First add a Public DNS server to System Preferences > Network > Advanced Button > DNS tab

Google run 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4 (It may also pay to add them to your router)

Also try open the Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) and finding imagent (Lower Case) and highlighting it.

Then use the Quit Button top left and confirm Force Quit.

Restart Messages afterwards.

If you are still having problems type ~/Library/Preferences into the Finder > Go Menu > Go to Folder at the dialogue box that appears

In the Preferences find com.apple.imessages.bag.plist and drag it to the Trash

Restart Messages.

If that does not work delete (Drag to Trash) the com.apple.imservice.imessages.plist and restart Messages

It is also worth trying to delete them together and restarting Messages.

At this point the most likely cause seems to be an absence of the Serial number in System Information > Hardware.

It is Flashed to the Motherboard and can go Missing if the computer has the major broads replaced (refurbishments and Repairs).

It is supposed to be flashed back by the Certified Apple Technician (At the Store or Apple Authorised Repair Center).

It could be a simple check to verify the computer can run Messages.

It could be a deeper check for general security about logging in to iMessages.

User uploaded file
9:58 PM Friday; November 16, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Nov 17, 2012 11:53 AM in response to Carlo TD

Hi Carlo,

The iCloud ID does not have to be the iMessages ID and for that reason I can not see any reason why signing out and then in again to iCloud would provide any relief.

The iMessages ID can be any Apple ID that you happen to have.

If, like me, you happen to have an original Apple ID of some sort (mine was an Email from a Dial-up internet account) and use this to create an @me.com iCloud ID you then have two separate IDs that could be used as far as iMessages is concerned, similar to the way @mac.com, @me.com and @iCloud.com IDs are both Apple IDs that can be used for iMessages and are Valid AIM Screen Names and can be set up twice in the Messages app (once for iMessages and once for AIM).

So...

For me, I have an iCloud/Apple ID Account with Apple.

I can use the Original Email, the created @me.com or the new @iCloud.com email along with the password and access my iTunes Store page or the iCloud web page in a Browser and it will say "Hello, (email of the original ID)" In fact I can do the same to access the Discussions

In Addition the iCloud info in System Preferences > Mail, Contacts and Calendars cannot be activated for Messages

If you think I am missing something I am willing to hear it.

User uploaded file
7:53 PM Saturday; November 17, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

can not login to iMessage in Mac via apple ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.