Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Raid is suddenly viable(In transition)

I have a Mac Pro with an Apple RAID card (yes, I know, not the best choice i've made) which I haven't used in a month or so (used to work from home, now been on location for about 6 months) and it first complained that the battery was discharged so it's charging it and now i've noticed that the RAID set is listed as Viable(In Transisition) and the Partition is listed as Initializing. None of the drives are missing and other thant he battery having discharged I'm not sure what could be wrong with it. I already lost one battery on this thing a bit ago and had to replace it so i've been sure not to leave it off that long.

The data all seems to be there so I'm not sure what it thinks it's initializing or what it is transition to or from. Any thoughts?

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 11:57 PM

4 replies

Nov 16, 2012 12:03 PM in response to digitalrhino

Given the frequent complaints and issues with the card and its battery, and needs to recharge no matter what... lack of support for 2.2TB or larger drives...

I always felt 3 drives will not be true RAID5 and better off to just use 3-drive mirror instead, even SoftRAID instead. Pull one you still have a mirror (2) and better rebuilds in background than Apple Disk Utility RAID or Apple Pro RAID.

Six months unplugged can and seems to do strange things,, always has even from day 1 for some people (mine has not even when it was unplugged for months) and has been in sleep mode for about two months currently - just no $800 or $1000 Apple RAID card.

When in doubt, and you should and do need to clone and TimeMachine your data, and be ready if needed at moment's notice to delete / recreate an array - though it takes longer and RAID3 or 5 with large drive volumes has probably outlived much of its usefulness for most users and usess. There are RAID6 controllers that are robust, external, just not this one.

Raid is suddenly viable(In transition)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.