I am having the same issue.
I have gone through the Diagnostics. Here are the steps I followed:
- Entered the Location:I do not know what 'location' is (I have a list of 3 dates and times plus automatic). I just left it on what was highlighted,
- selected my network (which I can access from my other macs),
- get a message that "Network Change Detected", enter my network password in order to continue
- Receive the message "this computer was unable to join the Wi-Fi Network you selected. You may have entered an incorrect password (no), chosen the wrong type of wireless security (never was changed), or may be out of range of the base station (no b/c my other compute is connected and next to the non connecting macBook pro).
- Perhaps it is the location as mentioned in step 1?
I have also reset my router twice, checked for software updates.
Everything was working this AM....
Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
I got it to connect - here is how:
- System Preferences
- Assist Me on bottom of screen
- Assistant (NOT Diagnostics)
- Kept Location name as what ever popped up and clicked continue
- Click on "I use AirPort...." and continue
- Selected my network from the list and entered the passwork
- Clicked on Continue on the next screen.
I don't understand what happened but I guess something needed to be reset.
Hope this helps!
Hello ASGR.SYS amd WahWar,
I tried both of your suggestions and neither of them worked.
ASGR SYS - When I tried it your way i got a message saying that the that the diagnostic couldn't repair the problem. It shows the thw WIFI, WIFI SETTINGS, NETWORK SETTINGS, ISP, all turn green. But the Internet and Sever stay red. The thing is, there is nothing wrong with my internet connection as I can connect to the internet on my Imac running tiger, both through ethernet and wireless. When I go to System Prefrences and Ntwork the WIFI and ETHERNET both say "Connected" even know I can't veiw any websites.suggestion
When I tried WAHWAR's suggestion I get a message that says cannot connect to the WIFI network and then it lists your typical trouble shooting tips. Like Make sure you entered the right password and make sure you are in range of the wireless network
Again, just to confoirm - My internet connection is working fne both the WIFI and the Ethernet. When I use it on my IMAC running tiger, everything connects as it should and it works perfectly. But when I try to connect with the MacBook Pro, Even know the connections in the Network settings window show up as "connected" the MacBook still seems to think that my internet connection isn't working at all.
I have tried creating new connections, creating new locations, and I have even gone as far to reset my router and start completely from scratch. The result so far has been the same - the IMAC running tiger will connect - my blackberry and iphone will connect - but the macbook pro running lion will not connect..
I'd apprechiate any other suggestions
I am in exact same boat. My MBP is connecting to the internet according to the diagnostics.
When I use the "Assist me" tool, it says it can't connect and requires me to enter in an ip, the dns, the router info, etc. I do that, exactly as my old laptop that I'm writing this off of now. No go. (Old laptop is 10.6.8)
I can connect to the router. I can't seem to get through the router to connect to the internet, ONLY with the MBP, 10.7.5. Both iPhones (iOS 6.x and 5.x) can connect and use the local wifi/ethernet to connect out. But the newer MBP can't.