Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About the defective 1st Gen iPod Nanos

About a year ago I received an email from Apple concerning the defective 1st Gen iPod Nanos and their "batteries heating up posing a safety risk" and that they could replace it for me. Well, I didn't really use it then so I didn't go through the process of replacing it. Now, I want to but when I go to the page to start the process https://supportform.apple.com/201110/ when asked for the serial number of my product I type it 100% correctly and I get the message "The Apple product serial number you entered is not part of this program." I definitely type it correctly 'cause I tried changing certain digits on purpose and I get "The serial number you entered cannot be found in our records. Please verify the number and try again, or contact us." so it's certain that I type the correct serial number as indicated very clearly on the back of my iPod. There's also a picture there

User uploaded file

and I compare that picture to my iPod's back and the info written are 100% identical (Model, EMC No., etc) except of course for the Serial number. I did notice that the picture's Serial no.'s format is 5K100000000 while my iPod's is 5U6XXXXXXXX. Could it be that mine is not one of the defective ones? I don't get it. If it isn't why would Apple send me an email about it? Thanks for all the help.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:06 AM

12 replies

Nov 16, 2012 10:37 AM in response to planb77

Well, to be quite honest, if my product is not one of the defective ones – as not all of them are defective, only certain ones bought from a certain battery provider according to Apple – I'm not really into going through all the process and the waiting to get a new one. So all I'm asking if I'm getting the "The Apple product serial number you entered is not part of this program." is my iPod's battery okay or will I definitely have to go to an Authorized Apple Service Provider to have it replaced? Thanks again.

Nov 16, 2012 10:57 AM in response to itsjamesd

don't do it. I was one of those affected original 2GB customers as well. I did use my original Ipod nano, many many hours logged training for marathons. I had absolutely no trouble with it (I couldn't have had any service done anyway, although I bought extended warranty, the company that sold it to me - Circuit City - is now out of business). Then, I received the same email you did about the battery 'issue'. Like you, I debated over "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Wish I had taken my own advice. I ended up calling Apple and they were very nice about it and I finally decided to go ahead with it. They sent me a pre-paid shipping box, I erased all my tunes and off went my (perfectly functional) ipod nano to Apple. Should also mention that I had purchased accessories specific to that model, such as an armband (for marathon training), portable battery OR AC powered portable speakers, etc. The accessories probably cost more than the original ipod (which was over 200 bucks at that time). So, a short time later I receive a box from Apple. Joy?!?? no. They sent me a 6th generation nano, which is incompatible with my armband and, since they disabled the audio output from the docking connector, also makes my expensive Polk Audio portable speakers useless. I went into the local Apple store, with my Polk speakers and said, "this replacement doesn't work with my speakers". "Genius" promptly put one of the store's ipod nano 6's on my speakers and said, "you're right. These don't work with this model. But I'll be happy to sell you one of those Apple docks over there on the shelf". No thanks man. Also, no matter how high you set the volume limiter, the sound is still pretty lame even through Bose in-ear headphones.The reason I'm on this forum is that today is the latest in my frustrating quest to get the fitness part of this hunk of junk to calibrate running distance properly. I'm sure Apple made the decision to "upgrade" me (it is an 8GB) , but I am very sad I didn't stick to my guns and leave well enough alone. My 2 cents (plus several hundred dollars of useless accessories) worth...

Nov 16, 2012 11:56 AM in response to planb77

Okay just to be clear. What I don't get is whether Apple's replacement program is for EVERY single iPod Nano 1st Gen or JUST for the ones that proved to be defective hence me getting the message "The Apple product serial number you entered is not part of this program." cause I'm 100% sure I type the correct Serial No. Someone please reply to this 'cause I'm right now confused on whether I'm stuck in Apple recognizing my iPod's Serial No. or my iPod is just fine and can't/won't be replaced from the first place. Seriously thanks for the help.

Nov 16, 2012 1:54 PM in response to deggie

deggie, I do appreciate the answer but how can you tell that mine doesn't include that Sony battery model you refer to? Is it because of the first three digits of my Serial No. that I included on my first post (5U6XXXXXXXX)? If that is the reason why you said it, are you really sure about it? I got these people on forums around the web claiming stuff about "ticking time bombs" on the subject of the 1st Gen iPod Nanos.

PS: I wasn't aware of the defective battery's model being Sony, didn't read it anywhere on other forums and stuff, not that it actually makes any difference really, just mention it.

Nov 16, 2012 3:15 PM in response to itsjamesd

I can't tell, I don't work for Apple. But there have been other posts here from people that have said they received a similar message to yours and when Apple announced the recall program they stated that not all 1st Generation iPod Nano's had the defective battery.

As far as I know Sony, who is the largest portable device battery maker, made all of the batteries for the Nano.

Nov 16, 2012 7:58 PM in response to itsjamesd

I know I wrote a long-winded message but I did it to help others like you, itsjamesd. If your device is currently working, do not try to get it replaced. You'll get something completely incompatible with any accessories you had for the original nano. "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it". I still don't have an answer to why the replacement nano6 refuses to allow me to calibrate it..........

About the defective 1st Gen iPod Nanos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.