Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There is an "unknown" user in my folder info windows

User uploaded file

Who is this mysterious "unknown" user? I can never change his (or her) Privileges. The icon, currently grayed out, is of a user behind a timepiece, a Lépine by the looks of it.

How can I get rid of him (or her) without actually defenestrating my laptop?

MacBook Pro 17", Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz 2GB

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:06 AM

This means that the Group ownership field has a Group ID that is not contained in /etc/group, so the Finder just substitutes 'unknown'.

There are 4 billion possible Group ID numbers, but only a handful are ever used. Somehow you have stored a file on your system that is using a Group ID that does not contain a name in /etc/group

For example, if you received a ZIP file (or any other container file) and unpacked it, it is possible that the Group ID from another system was used when creating the file on your Mac.

You can use Applicaitons -> Utilities -> Terminal to change the group owner

sudo chgrp staff "/path/to/the/file.name"

Or you can just ignore this, as it is most likely harmless

Message was edited by: BobHarris

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 16, 2012 11:06 AM in response to keraunoscopia

This means that the Group ownership field has a Group ID that is not contained in /etc/group, so the Finder just substitutes 'unknown'.

There are 4 billion possible Group ID numbers, but only a handful are ever used. Somehow you have stored a file on your system that is using a Group ID that does not contain a name in /etc/group

For example, if you received a ZIP file (or any other container file) and unpacked it, it is possible that the Group ID from another system was used when creating the file on your Mac.

You can use Applicaitons -> Utilities -> Terminal to change the group owner

sudo chgrp staff "/path/to/the/file.name"

Or you can just ignore this, as it is most likely harmless

Message was edited by: BobHarris

Nov 19, 2012 7:19 PM in response to BobHarris

Hmm, ok. So if I ignored it, it doesn't mean someone will be able to access my computer in the future—like some clever trojan or something? This "unknown" sometimes has the ability to read and read/write (iirc). I am unable to change it to No Access unfortunately.

I don't understand the terminal line. What would the terminal line change the group owner to, and what is "file.name"?

There is an "unknown" user in my folder info windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.